Title IX case affected ugrad grades, worried about playing the victim card Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
washi98

New

Title IX case affected ugrad grades, worried about playing the victim card

Post by washi98 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 pm

I'm a sophomore at an Ivy League ugrad that is dealing with a title IX case. I had perfect grades freshman year, but this year, I'm going through a lot so I ended sophomore fall with a 3.75 and am currently on a reduced course-load. I'm also studying abroad my junior spring, so my courses will transfer back as pass/fail. My GPA by the end of sophomore year will be around 3.85.

I'm worried that my sophomore year is going affect me in the admissions process. I was initially planning on applying straight out of ugrad for Columbia/Harvard/Georgetown but am worried about how law schools will interpret my lower grades during sophomore year. By the time I apply, I will have three semesters in which law schools wont be able to interpret my academic performance (soph year + study abroad). And even though I did well in freshman year, it is freshman year after all.

I know that I can attach an addendum, but I'm not sure if my case is appropriate for it. I've also heard that it can affect chances. I'm worried about playing the victim card. Should I wait until I feel confident about my grades? Or go ahead and attach an addendum?

bluefreakbob

New

Re: Title IX case affected ugrad grades, worried about playing the victim card

Post by bluefreakbob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:18 pm

I think the standard advice of just try to do your best and get the highest GPA you can still applies. You still have a lot of college in front of you.

Also not that you have to/should share, but whether you're the alleged perpetrator or alleged victim in this Title IX case is going to matter a lot if it gets adjudicated against you.

washi98

New

Re: Title IX case affected ugrad grades, worried about playing the victim card

Post by washi98 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am the victim to clarify.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”