Bringing a parent to accepted student open house Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschooll2021

New

Bringing a parent to accepted student open house

Post by lawschooll2021 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am

Okay. I think this question is asked every cycle.

My mom really wants to attend. She’s not an “annoying” mom that asks numerous questions. It’s likely that she’s just there to observe. The agenda for my schools open house divides up the guest at one point of time. So, it’s not like a parent would be interfering with the “social” time to meet other students outside of the panels.

My open house also has a second part with alumni that she wouldn’t be attending. Basically, she’ll only be there for the panels & the guest portion that my school has.

Anyways, I don’t want to be the only one with a parent. How likely is it that I would be?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: Bringing a parent to accepted student open house

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:45 pm

Is that the sound of helicopter rotors spooling up? :lol:

I don't think your mom is going to be told to leave or that your classmates are going to shun you, but I'd seriously consider telling mom to stay home this time. Usually, there is nothing at these accepted student events that would be useful to parents, except as an emotional crutch for them as they send their "baby" off to school again. Bring a notebook and a pen and enjoy learning a bit about your law school. Leave the helicopter in the hangar unless the school specifically states that parents are welcome.

To directly answer the question you asked, I doubt you'd be the only person with a parent there, but you will be in a very small minority.

JMWZ

New

Re: Bringing a parent to accepted student open house

Post by JMWZ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:24 pm

lawschooll2021 wrote:Okay. I think this question is asked every cycle.

My mom really wants to attend. She’s not an “annoying” mom that asks numerous questions. It’s likely that she’s just there to observe. The agenda for my schools open house divides up the guest at one point of time. So, it’s not like a parent would be interfering with the “social” time to meet other students outside of the panels.

My open house also has a second part with alumni that she wouldn’t be attending. Basically, she’ll only be there for the panels & the guest portion that my school has.

Anyways, I don’t want to be the only one with a parent. How likely is it that I would be?
I see plenty of parents at these types of events. I remember when I was looking at schools, it often depended on the school. Iowa for example had a lot of parents at their open house, Indiana not as much. But you'll be fine having them there. I would not stress about it. Remember that only about 25% of the people who attend the open house will actually be going to that school. Don't stress about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”