2 Year JD or 1 Year LLM? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
luwian

New

2 Year JD or 1 Year LLM?

Post by luwian » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi. I am a non-us law school graduate and I have been practicing as a lawyer for 15 years in a overseas country.

I don't have neither US citizenship nor green card but my son (5 yo) is US citizen and we would like to move to the USA.

I need to sit a bar exam to continue my profession in the USA and to do that I will need llm or jd degree.

I don't have any financial problem, I can afford to study any law school.

But I need advice for choosing right program for me.

LLM
It takes just 1 year and costs less money. Actually time is more important than money for me.

JD
Gives you chance to sit bar exam in any state and practice everywhere in the USA
JD graduates have better employment opportunities

Actually I don't have any idea how I can practice in the USA after graduation. Probably I will establish my own law firm instead of working for another law firm and I will have been 40 years old when I get my jd degree. So I think it will be very difficult for me to find a job at age of 40 if I would prefer to work for other law firms. So I'm not sure if jd degree is a better option for me than llm?

What would you recommend for me? This will be a very critical milestone in my life.

Thanks...

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 2 Year JD or 1 Year LLM?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:28 pm

First, just by this post, your english isn't great. That is going to be the biggest hindrance to you.

Second, if you already are a lawyer in your home country, then the LLM is probably the way to go, as long as its a top 13 LLM. Most LLM programs are money making machines for law schools, so make sure you pick one that has strong placement. But considering you will need to be sponsored to work, you are going to have to be prepared to not find a job in the U.S. afterwards, even if you pass the NY bar.

luwian

New

Post by luwian » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Yes my English is not good enough yet, my toefl score is 80 but I can make it better in a few months..

luwian

New

Post by luwian » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:11 pm

luwian wrote:Hi. I am a non-us law school graduate and I have been practicing as a lawyer for 15 years in a overseas country.

I don't have US citizenship or green card but my son (5 yo) is US citizen and we would like to move to the USA.

I need to sit a bar exam to continue my profession in the USA and to do that I will need llm or jd degree.

I don't have any financial problem, I can afford to study any law school.

But I need advice for choosing right program for me.

LLM
It takes just 1 year and costs less money. Actually time is more important than money for me.

JD
Gives you chance to sit bar exam in any state and practice everywhere in the USA
JD graduates have better employment opportunities

Actually I don't have any idea how I can practice in the USA after graduation. Probably I will establish my own law firm instead of working for another law firm and I will have been 40 years old when I get my jd degree. So I think it will be very difficult for me to find a job at age of 40 if I would prefer to work for other law firms. So I'm not sure if jd degree is a better option for me than llm?

What would you recommend for me? This will be a very critical milestone in my life.

Thanks...

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:19 pm

I have two law degrees (one U.S. and one Euro) PM me and we can discuss.

newtonc

New

Post by newtonc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

TFALAWL wrote:I have two law degrees (one U.S. and one Euro) PM me and we can discuss.

why pm, discuss here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”