LoR from Appellate Judge Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LonelySprout

New

LoR from Appellate Judge

Post by LonelySprout » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Hello all,

I have a quick question. I'm applying for the 2018-2019 cycle. A California Appellate Circuit judge I know very well has offered to write a LoR on my behalf. I plan on attending a law school in California and practicing in California. I would like to hear what people think about this.

My initial inclination is to say no to the LoR for the following associated reasons:

1. I haven't worked with the judge, so he can't speak to firsthand experience of my academic potential or work ethic.

2. Based on (1), admissions committees will likely suspect I'm just trying to make the most out of his title.

I am incredibly grateful for his wanting me to succeed in law school admissions, but I want to be sure I'm making the smartest decision.

Now I have a hypothetical. Let's say he agrees to figure out a way for me to do some kind of work for him over the summer in some academic or legal capacity. Would this then qualify his letter as a substantive LoR?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Yulifus

New

Re: LoR from Appellate Judge

Post by Yulifus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Why would you say "no" to a LoR from a judge? Unless of course his letter starts with "I don't know him/her in a professional capacity, but...."
Do some work for him and take the LoR. Do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”