Page 1 of 1

Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm
by Aubreysmom
Professor at an Ivy League school (international applicant with superior grades in undergrad, masters, and PhD) with outstanding publications and legal experience scored a 163 on the LSAT (was ill on the day). Toast? Looking at T30.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:21 pm
by DebtPrisoner
Yes--If you can make your case as to why you'd add unique value to a program you could do a T20 - I have same LSAT, high GPA, masters and was accepted to a T20 today

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:35 am
by albanach
If your LSAT is low because of illness, the correct response is retake. While a decent result might be available as a reverse splitter, you're giving up possibly six figures worth of scholarship dollars and the opportunity to attend a top school with better outcome stats.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:17 am
by DebtPrisoner
Also think about what you want to do, and if you'd be ok at a regional T20-T40. If you want to do public interest for example, look for a midrange with a solid LRAP.

But If you are applying next cycle, just retake in June/Sept...

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:25 pm
by Aubreysmom
DebtPrisoner wrote:Yes--If you can make your case as to why you'd add unique value to a program you could do a T20 - I have same LSAT, high GPA, masters and was accepted to a T20 today


Congratulations on your acceptance! How fantastic for you! Thank you for your thoughts.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm
by Aubreysmom
albanach wrote:If your LSAT is low because of illness, the correct response is retake. While a decent result might be available as a reverse splitter, you're giving up possibly six figures worth of scholarship dollars and the opportunity to attend a top school with better outcome stats.


Thank you- I appreciate your thoughts.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 pm
by sparkytrainer
An ivy league professor would know that going to a top 20-30 law school is a total waste.

This is a troll. 1/10.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 pm
by Aubreysmom
sparkytrainer wrote:An ivy league professor would know that going to a top 20-30 law school is a total waste.

This is a troll. 1/10.


Not a troll. Just an adjunct professor who didn’t do as well as she would have liked on the LSAT.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm
by Wild Card
I've worked in admissions, and I can say yes. A high GPA will keep you in contention, but your LSAT must also be at least within a school's range.

Re: Do outstanding softs and high grades ever make up for a low LSAT?

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 pm
by Aubreysmom
Wild Card wrote:I've worked in admissions, and I can say yes. A high GPA will keep you in contention, but your LSAT must also be at least within a school's range.


OK great- thank you for letting me know.