Seat Deposits Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IamKrisBars

New

Seat Deposits

Post by IamKrisBars » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:05 pm

I’ve applied to around 27 schools give or take. I have heard back from 5. So far, my earliest deposit I would put down is April 3rd.. although depending on how many schools have yet to respond at that point I might forgo that and put an April 17th deposit on another school. If I still haven’t received a decision from all of the other schools at the point I put a deposit down, will it hurt my chances of being admitted to undecided schools?

Also, are the deposits binding?

jgloster

Bronze

Re: Seat Deposits

Post by jgloster » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:10 pm

I was wondering this too. I haven't heard back from most of my schools yet. Will I have to put down a seat deposit???

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:03 pm

I hate to double-post, but it's pissing me off that these school require seat deposits by April but still accept students well into July. How is that possible????

kw25

New

Post by kw25 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:58 pm

IamKrisBars wrote:I’ve applied to around 27 schools give or take. I have heard back from 5. So far, my earliest deposit I would put down is April 3rd.. although depending on how many schools have yet to respond at that point I might forgo that and put an April 17th deposit on another school. If I still haven’t received a decision from all of the other schools at the point I put a deposit down, will it hurt my chances of being admitted to undecided schools?

I cannot answer anything other than the last question. At the schools I've applied and been admitted to, the seat deposit is not BINDING but it is however NONREFUNDABLE. Meaning, you can pay $500 and change your mind but they're keeping your money.

ChiaOut

New

Post by ChiaOut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm

IamKrisBars wrote:I’ve applied to around 27 schools give or take. I have heard back from 5. So far, my earliest deposit I would put down is April 3rd.. although depending on how many schools have yet to respond at that point I might forgo that and put an April 17th deposit on another school. If I still haven’t received a decision from all of the other schools at the point I put a deposit down, will it hurt my chances of being admitted to undecided schools?

Seat deposit are not binding. For the most part they are nonrefundable. School don't like when you double deposit and around May 10th a spreadsheet is sent and they are made aware of it. (this is only for acceptance)

It will not look bad if you continue to wait for the rest of your decisions. Law Schools know its a gamble. If you get into your dream school. Just recind your seat.

Legally they can not tell you to withdraw offers from schools you're still waiting to hear back from or are currently waitlisted from.

Yulifus

New

Post by Yulifus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:19 pm

You can pay the seat deposit to ensure your spot and then withdraw if you get accepted into a better school. Seat deposits are not binding, you will lose 100 bucks though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”