Law or Doctorate in Education Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nick832

New

Law or Doctorate in Education

Post by nick832 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I am trying to decide between going to law school or getting my doctorate in education. I am 34 and have 10 years working in public education. Whatever route I choose, I can only afford to attend part-time. I am creating a list of factors that I should consider. Please share some factors that I should include. Thank you! :mrgreen:

Note:
I have a BA in Political Science, an MBA, Principal Certification, and SHRM certification.

Hand

Gold

Re: Law or Doctorate in Education

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:56 pm

the most important factor is what you want to do with your life!!!

GOOD LUCK FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:01 pm

First, you need to take the GRE exam (many law schools now accept the GRE in lieu of the LSAT). then consider a doctorate from Harvard. I have forgotten the name of the education doctorate program, but Harvard offers one that is free (or at least was tuition free/full scholarship for all a few years ago).

If you decide to pursue a law degree, then better to take the LSAT.

If you take both exams & are truly passionate about either career path, then see where your best options are offered.

P.S. The Harvard tuition free/ all on full scholarship program is full-time only (or, at least when I looked into it, was).

jimboshrimp

New

Post by jimboshrimp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

why not get a doctorate in law, for the best of both worlds?

nick832

New

Post by nick832 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 pm

I cannot afford to go to school full time; otherwise I would seriously consider Harvard. I thought about doing an MPA at Harvard, allowing me to work in education administration. However, my GMAT score (87th percentile) is now more than five years old and I am not sure I want to retake that.

I live in TX and UT offers a solid doctorate program in education. Best part-time program is UH Law Center. So in reality, my option is
a) doctorate in education from University of TX
b) law degree from UH Law

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:23 pm

This entirely depends on your goals. I had 8 years in education before starting law school, and decided to attend because I wanted to be a lawyer and didn’t want to continue down the school administrator path I was on. Do you want a law degree to do ed law, or to pursue another field entirely? Neither path is wrong but it really comes down to where your heart is set. If you’re worried about being too old for law school, I wouldn’t let that set you back at all.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm

I think you should go to cooking school instead

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”