Waitlisted at the University of Baltimore Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
meganm0403

New

Waitlisted at the University of Baltimore

Post by meganm0403 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 am

So I am a bit of an unconventional student. I got a 146 on my LSAT twice due to test anxiety... it's not going to go up and I've accepted that. However I have a solid GPA, 3.1. I have above and beyond work experience for a huge Tampa law firm and with that pristine LOR's. I got accepted with a 15K scholarship to Widener Commonwealth. I recently got wait listed at the University of Baltimore. Originally being from Baltimore, and wanting to move home, that is where I would like to attend. Does anyone have any experience being accepted off the wait list there? Or have any advice for me?

Thanks!

silenttimer

Bronze

Re: Waitlisted at the University of Baltimore

Post by silenttimer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:49 am

Be ready for folks to ask you about your goals, scholarship, COA, and generally frown upon you going to law school... Oh and also folks will tell you to retake.

But to answer your question about getting off the wait list, the best option is to contact the adcoms and let them know that you are interested in attending. Also, perhaps write a why Baltimore essay if you have not already submitted one.

Good luck.

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:53 pm

A 3.1 GPA is low for a law school applicant. 3.1/146 are really rough stats. I'd reconsider whether law school is a wise investment of your time and money considering the very few opportunities you have with those stats.

meganm0403

New

Post by meganm0403 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm

cuzzydunlop wrote:A 3.1 GPA is low for a law school applicant. 3.1/146 are really rough stats. I'd reconsider whether law school is a wise investment of your time and money considering the very few opportunities you have with those stats.
With all due respect, they must not be that rough if I was waitlisted to a great school like UB and given a 15k scholarship to a decent school. My plan is to kick ass my first year and transfer to Maryland.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 pm

meganm0403 wrote:
cuzzydunlop wrote:A 3.1 GPA is low for a law school applicant. 3.1/146 are really rough stats. I'd reconsider whether law school is a wise investment of your time and money considering the very few opportunities you have with those stats.
With all due respect, they must not be that rough if I was waitlisted to a great school like UB and given a 15k scholarship to a decent school. My plan is to kick ass my first year and transfer to Maryland.
I like your sense of self-worth! Don't let the bastards get you down! Keep at it! Good luck & follow your dreams!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:16 pm

meganm0403 wrote:
Never go to a law school planning to transfer from it. You don't know how you'll do.

UB isn't a great school. You have about a 50/50 shot at getting a job as a lawyer from there, not to mention the extreme debt you'd be putting yourself in. Don't go to law school if these are your options.

meganm0403

New

Post by meganm0403 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:29 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
meganm0403 wrote:
Never go to a law school planning to transfer from it. You don't know how you'll do.

UB isn't a great school. You have about a 50/50 shot at getting a job as a lawyer from there, not to mention the extreme debt you'd be putting yourself in. Don't go to law school if these are your options.
They both have 90%+ employment rates, I can afford law school without loans, and with my experience and connections I know I will be fine. Thank you for your opinion though.

This also has nothing to do with my question on what are the chances of getting accepted from a waitlist.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 pm

I am not going to comment on whether or not I think you should attend these schools. There are plenty of resources for you to examine and make your own decision. I'd encourage you to start by visiting law school transparency and looking at the school reports for both schools.

I will however say that you should consider whether law school makes sense for you given your severe test anxiety. Law school classes are graded by one timed exam given at the end of the semester and that's it. You note that your plan is to do well and then transfer to Maryland, but that will be difficult if you have test anxiety that prevents you from performing well on exams. You should also consider your test anxiety's impact on you when you will take the bar exam. It would be all for naught if you made it through law school and then could not succeed in passing the bar. I also encourage you to read articles and do research on the correlation between LSAT scores and success on the bar exam. If you do decide to go, you need to develop a plan for treating your test anxiety. Seek out a counselor who specializes in similar issues.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

If you suffer from test anxiety, how do you expect to get through law school since you'll be required to take dozens of exams ?

Also, it would not be wise to pay full or anywhere near full tuition at either law school.

I have no idea about their waitlist, why not call the law school admissions office & ask as waitlists vary from year to year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

meganm0403 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
meganm0403 wrote:

They both have 90%+ employment rates, I can afford law school without loans, and with my experience and connections I know I will be fine. Thank you for your opinion though.

This also has nothing to do with my question on what are the chances of getting accepted from a waitlist.
They do not both have 90% employment rates. That is just plain false. Read the ABA disclosures and the law school transparency reports.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:47 pm

meganm0403 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
meganm0403 wrote:

On the chance you're not a troll, look at this data. 143/277 graduates had bar passage required jobs

http://law.ubalt.edu/about/Class2016_UP ... ummary.pdf

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
meganm0403 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
meganm0403 wrote:

On the chance you're not a troll, look at this data. 143/277 graduates had bar passage required jobs

http://law.ubalt.edu/about/Class2016_UP ... ummary.pdf
yes but what about the others who found jobs as baristas???? why do you not care about them???

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:09 pm

meganm0403 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
meganm0403 wrote:

If you can afford law school without loans and have a lot of connections, take that 200K and invest it in an index fund with low expense fees and use your connections to get a non-lawyer job. This is a much better plan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:42 pm

meganm0403 wrote:
No offense but you were waitlisted at the 112th ranked law school in the country. Your GPA is well below the median of any decent school and your LSAT score puts you in the 29th percentile of LSAT takers (extremely poor). If the best you can muster on the LSAT is a 146, all indications show that you are extremely unlikely to do well in law school. I'm not trying to be mean, just hoping to save you 3 years of your life and 6 figures of debt to potentially go to a school where, at best, you have a 50/50 shot of ever working as a lawyer in any capacity.

If you get extreme test anxiety, how do you anticipate performing on your tests in law school? Or more importantly, how do you expect to have any prayer of passing the bar?

Do your research before you get into this. There is virtually no good outcome for a 3.1/146 profile. And that's ok, being a lawyer isn't the end-all be-all.

admin lawyer

New

Post by admin lawyer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:55 pm

Follow your dreams OP! As long as you're committed and you let everyone know how amazing you are, you'll do great. Succeeding in law is about being positive more than things like going to a good school or getting good grades. Project dominance and others will follow.

meganm0403

New

Post by meganm0403 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:17 pm

admin lawyer wrote:Follow your dreams OP! As long as you're committed and you let everyone know how amazing you are, you'll do great. Succeeding in law is about being positive more than things like going to a good school or getting good grades. Project dominance and others will follow.
Thank you! I will!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:23 pm

Lol this has to be a troll.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Innocent13

New

Post by Innocent13 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you suffer from test anxiety, how do you expect to get through law school since you'll be required to take dozens of exams ?

Also, it would not be wise to pay full or anywhere near full tuition at either law school.

I have no idea about their waitlist, why not call the law school admissions office & ask as waitlists vary from year to year.
For the many individuals who are asking about how the OP plans to make it through law school with test anxiety, speaking from experience, standardized exams such as the LSAT may increase test anxiety much, much more than an average exam. As someone who has taken other standardized professional exams, the LSAT has by far been the most taxing on my anxiety.

To the OP- you said it's not going up, but I SERIOUSLY encourage you to try again! I have diagnosed ADHD and generalized anxiety (just throwing this in there so ya know what kind of anxiety I am talking about) and struggled with the LSAT as well. I took it with a Cancel the first time, then got a 155 and took it a 3rd time and got a 165. I am planning on giving it one more shot because it is still below my PTs and I missed 6 on games... The more and more you take it the more comfortable you become with the exam and frankly, the more you realize you can take it again if it goes poorly! Don't write yourself off because of two low scores- I was there too!

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 am

meganm0403 wrote:
admin lawyer wrote:Follow your dreams OP! As long as you're committed and you let everyone know how amazing you are, you'll do great. Succeeding in law is about being positive more than things like going to a good school or getting good grades. Project dominance and others will follow.
Thank you! I will!

I’m guessing you honestly didn’t realize this guy was fucking with you, but he’s mocking the naivety of your decision making process and overall understanding of the legal market and law school admissions. Please at least consider the facts other posters are revealing to you.

Delben3

New

Post by Delben3 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:45 am

Hi! I got a 146 on lsat as well and I was wondering if you ever got off the waitlist? I would appreciate any advice if you have any! Thanks

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Delben3 wrote:Hi! I got a 146 on lsat as well and I was wondering if you ever got off the waitlist? I would appreciate any advice if you have any! Thanks
Don't go to any school that accepts you with a 146.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:07 am

While it may sound elitist, a 146 after putting in effort suggests you may lack the critical reading and analytical skills required to be successful in law. This doesn't mean that you're not intelligent. I work with quite a few people who would be considered intelligent and even brilliant but would be unlikely to score much higher than a 146. They are very good at what they do but would make lousy lawyers. It's not a value judgment on you, but suggests you may be pursuing a plan that doesn't play to your skill set, which means that even putting the difficulty of getting a job aside, you are unlikely to be happy long term.

The idea that you can't do the LSAT but can do well enough in law school to transfer or place in the top 10% overlooks the fact that writing exams of this caliber requires strong critical reading skills and the ability to pick up on assumptions in arguments you are making and examine whether the facts support alternative possibilities. These are things that the LSAT tests for, and while there is definitely a point of diminishing returns - you don't need to have scored a 170 to be able to do these things at a high level, a 146 suggests you need to work on those skills.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”