Wrong School Name on Resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tboyce

New

Wrong School Name on Resume

Post by Tboyce » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm

I think I'm gonna die, I just proofread my app for the last law schoo I'm applying to (Northwestern) and realized I have my objective on my resume as "To attend the university of Tecas at Austin School of Law." UT was the first school I applied to, so looks like all other 9 schools received that same resume. What should I do? Is there anything I can do? With a 171 on my LSAT and a 3.3 in chemical engineering undergrad, I already got into Tulane but I'm worried about my apps to the T14 schools I applied to.

Tboyce

New

Re: Wrong School Name on Resume

Post by Tboyce » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm

jesus two mistakes in that post, just not my day. but you all got the gist of my post

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:31 pm

I hope that Texas is really your first choice law school.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Oh boy, that's fucked up! :shock:

Tboyce

New

Post by Tboyce » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I hope that Texas is really your first choice law school.
It is, that's why I applied there first. But the prospect of it being texas or bust is killing me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Tboyce wrote:
It is, that's why I applied there first. But the prospect of it being texas or bust is killing me
So, you have two options. Hope Adcomms don't read resume's that carefully, or send an updated resume and hope they don't notice the subtle change. It's not a good look, though I doubt very much that you'll be the first to make this mistake.

I'm not entirely sure why "attending law school xxx" would be an objective line on a resume anyway. I suggest you take that off.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Yeah, objectives are unnecessary on resumes and in fact looks bad generally.

Tboyce

New

Post by Tboyce » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:54 pm

albanach wrote:
Tboyce wrote:
So, you have two options. Hope Adcomms don't read resume's that carefully, or send an updated resume and hope they don't notice the subtle change. It's not a good look, though I doubt very much that you'll be the first to make this mistake.

I'm not entirely sure why "attending law school xxx" would be an objective line on a resume anyway. I suggest you take that off.
It was a section on my old resume from job apps and I never thought to remove it. However, just removed it. I called Vanderbilt and the lady said typos happen (didn't tell her the typo) and that I can resubmit my resume by emailing it to their admissions office. Should I just email every school I've applied to saying I've noticed an error in my resume and here's the corrected copy?

#gobroncos

Bronze

Post by #gobroncos » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:54 pm

albanach wrote:
Tboyce wrote:

Do the former - I had a couple typos at the end of an essay I wrote for Michigan that made it seem like I couldn’t speak English. I panicked, but then sent an updated version via a very apologetic and polite email. I don’t think anyone read the first version because I still was invited to interview for a Darrow.

Send updated versions. The only person likely to know will be the undergrad who processes it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gordon_Cole

New

Post by Gordon_Cole » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm

You mean "Tecas"?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Tboyce wrote:
albanach wrote:
Tboyce wrote:

It was a section on my old resume from job apps and I never thought to remove it. However, just removed it. I called Vanderbilt and the lady said typos happen (didn't tell her the typo) and that I can resubmit my resume by emailing it to their admissions office. Should I just email every school I've applied to saying I've noticed an error in my resume and here's the corrected copy?
Yes, they won’t associate it with your application. You’ll be fine.

Tboyce

New

Post by Tboyce » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm

#gobroncos wrote:
albanach wrote:
Tboyce wrote:

Do the former - I had a couple typos at the end of an essay I wrote for Michigan that made it seem like I couldn’t speak English. I panicked, but then sent an updated version via a very apologetic and polite email. I don’t think anyone read the first version because I still was invited to interview for a Darrow.

Send updated versions. The only person likely to know will be the undergrad who processes it.
Thank you, that's what I'm currently doing

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:55 pm

If everything else in your application is great, I doubt it will totally ruin your chances. Frankly it does show a lack of concern for detail. The fact you even have an objective on your resume is concerning though. It's unnecessary because they know what your objective is. The other issue is that it either 1) took away space from something else you could have had on there or 2) you used it to fill up space on a somewhat empty resume.

There's a chance they won't even care that much though. This sort of thing happens all the time and they know kids have other top choices so they're not going to get their feelings hurt.
Last edited by Jjbb938483 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:19 pm

I haven't seen someone put an objective on a resume ... ever. At least not in the real world. I think that's something you put on there when you're an undergrad with a light resume looking for a summer internship. Get rid of it!

trickyricky

New

Post by trickyricky » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:28 pm

cuzzydunlop wrote:I haven't seen someone put an objective on a resume ... ever. At least not in the real world. I think that's something you put on there when you're an undergrad with a light resume looking for a summer internship. Get rid of it!
Obviously this is just a anecdote from my own experience but several admissions staff and a dean of admissions at a top school have told me they do enjoy seeing something at the beginning of a resume (whether an 'Objectives' section or just a paragraph explaining what you are currently up to). This is especially the case if you genuinely have something interesting to say about your current status and future plans, like are in an active arts project or volunteer effort etc etc.

Anyways just adding what I've heard.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Tboyce wrote:I think I'm gonna die, I just proofread my app for the last law schoo I'm applying to (Northwestern) and realized I have my objective on my resume as "To attend the university of Tecas at Austin School of Law." UT was the first school I applied to, so looks like all other 9 schools received that same resume. What should I do? Is there anything I can do? With a 171 on my LSAT and a 3.3 in chemical engineering undergrad, I already got into Tulane but I'm worried about my apps to the T14 schools I applied to.
One of many reasons you shouldn't have an objective in your law school resume.

Fix it, email them and ask them to replace with the new "updated" one ASAP. Likely that should clear you.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 pm

albanach wrote:
Tboyce wrote:
... send an updated resume and hope they don't notice the subtle change. It's not a good look, though I doubt very much that you'll be the first to make this mistake.
Do that. Your mistake sucks but probably won't sink you. Adcomms still have to fill their classes and applicants are humans.

Don't point it out though. Just send in an "updated resume."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”