Unsatisfied Hill Staffer - Too old for biglaw? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tapenade

New

Unsatisfied Hill Staffer - Too old for biglaw?

Post by tapenade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Mid-twenties Capitol Hill staffer. Came to the Hill with an idea of what it might be like and have been a bit disappointed.

I've been toying with the idea of law school for years. If I went now, would I be too old for biglaw? I've seen other threads for applicants that are older than I am, but not sure if the culture of firm hiring has changed since I last lurked TLS.

If it matters at all: 3.7 GPA, Hispanic/AA URM, some unique work experience abroad.

Before you ask: the shutdown did not influence my decision to make this thread. It's been a long time coming.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Unsatisfied Hill Staffer - Too old for biglaw?

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 pm

No, you’re not too old for biglaw. Not even close.

cuzzydunlop

New

Post by cuzzydunlop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 pm

Mid-20’s is the median age of 1L’s so no, you’re not “too old” for Big Law. Nothing matters until you have an LSAT score though.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:32 pm

If anything WE is seen as a positive in hiring. Age re: biglaw is a personal decision, but anyway if you have no LSAT you are many steps removed

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 pm

my friend was an ex-staffer who did LS but decided to do lobbying instead of BL and while s/he doesn't necessarily regret doing LS bc she was on scholly, she did find it a waste of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tapenade

New

Post by tapenade » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Big Red wrote:If anything WE is seen as a positive in hiring. Age re: biglaw is a personal decision, but anyway if you have no LSAT you are many steps removed
Probably need a new PS as its 5 years old now, but have everything else saved with CRS from when I graduated. Agreed--the LSAT is the most important factor. I've ordered a new copy of the Trainer and signed up for June '18. Wish me luck!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 am

Mid-20's? No way.

historyminor

New

Post by historyminor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm a little concerned that your current discontent is based on a mismatch between your perceptions of what Hill life might be like and the reality. Given this, the more important issue is not whether you're too old for Biglaw, but whether you've got an accurate view of what life would be like as a Biglaw associate.

You should definitely take some time to figure out exactly what it is that you don't like about the Hill, and then talk to some Biglaw associates about whether they encounter any of the same problems in their positions, and find out what they don't like about their jobs. Law school is a huge investment, and even if you're frugal and land a Biglaw position (a big "if"), it'll take several years of practice before you pay down the loans and start turning a profit on that investment. For most of my classmates, our options are (1) to stay in Biglaw or something similarly compensated until we've paid off the loans, or (2) to work for the government or a nonprofit for 10 years and have the loans forgiven. I know a lot of attorneys who either hate the lifestyle or the work or both. Right now, you have the option of walking away from your current career and doing something else; many lawyers do not have that option.

thriller1122

Bronze

Post by thriller1122 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:24 pm

tapenade wrote:Mid-twenties Capitol Hill staffer. Came to the Hill with an idea of what it might be like and have been a bit disappointed.

I've been toying with the idea of law school for years. If I went now, would I be too old for biglaw? I've seen other threads for applicants that are older than I am, but not sure if the culture of firm hiring has changed since I last lurked TLS.

If it matters at all: 3.7 GPA, Hispanic/AA URM, some unique work experience abroad.

Before you ask: the shutdown did not influence my decision to make this thread. It's been a long time coming.
I'll turn 32 during my SA. No one cares. At all. Given the expectancy to stay in big law is limited to a few years, no one is going to think about age. Maybe if you were going to die of old age in the near future (think Merrick Garland). Even then, you probably wouldn't be concerned with a career change and there is probably some law against discrimination of people dying of old age.

LegalBiology

New

Post by LegalBiology » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:13 am

tapenade wrote:Mid-twenties Capitol Hill staffer. Came to the Hill with an idea of what it might be like and have been a bit disappointed.

what do you mean mid twenties are you joking?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”