I am a foreign Lawyer with 165 LSAT who wanna get into a Lower T14,any suggestion? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boss007

New

I am a foreign Lawyer with 165 LSAT who wanna get into a Lower T14,any suggestion?

Post by boss007 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:36 pm

I am a citizen of PRC who now live in a small city sit in central-south of China.I got my Maritime law bachelor degree in 2015 in a mainland China university. Having Practiced law for 3 years at a Local law firm and set my own law firm in 2017.
I am looking forward to going to a U.S Law school and get my U.S lawyer license now.I know my 165 LSAT is low compared to those go-geter,but I have tried really hard on it and do not consider re-taking is an option.I set up my own law office with some professor of a local university, Do u guys think if I put emphasis on that could help me stand out? and are they suit for writing LOR?And Is it still a possibility to get into lower T14 with my 165? :( really Thx for any input!

Stifling

New

Re: I am a foreign Lawyer with 165 LSAT who wanna get into a Lower T14,any suggestion?

Post by Stifling » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 pm

It is highly unlikely you'll get into any T-14 with 165, more so without a US/Canadian GPA. You will have to reach at least median/75th percentile LSAT score for respective law schools you're applying to, to have a shot at admission.

But with your 3 year experience and undergrad law degree, why not apply for an LLM instead? I think you'll have better chances there.

mcmand

Silver

Re: I am a foreign Lawyer with 165 LSAT who wanna get into a Lower T14,any suggestion?

Post by mcmand » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boss007

New

Post by boss007 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:00 am

Stifling wrote:It is highly unlikely you'll get into any T-14 with 165, more so without a US/Canadian GPA. You will have to reach at least median/75th percentile LSAT score for respective law schools you're applying to, to have a shot at admission.

But with your 3 year experience and undergrad law degree, why not apply for an LLM instead? I think you'll have better chances there.
:( yeah i dont think a 165 can get myself into a T14 either maybe i should turn to some T20 on ED.

boss007

New

Post by boss007 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 am

mcmand wrote:
Stifling wrote:It is highly unlikely you'll get into any T-14 with 165, more so without a US/Canadian GPA. You will have to reach at least median/75th percentile LSAT score for respective law schools you're applying to, to have a shot at admission.

I'm guessing he wants a JD because it's a lot more flexible. Only a handful of states let LLMs sit for the bar exam, and their requirements can vary. The regulations around foreign lawyers gaining admission to practice in the US is complicated, and a JD simply bypasses those issues.
Right! And i want to accept the best law education in US this my life-time dream! In fact i have been given advices that a LLM degree is better suit for me coz it is time-saving. However i just want so crazy on US law system that cant give up dreaming :( maybe i can use some rest and then retake the LSAT although it will be my 4th time

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 am

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boss007

New

Post by boss007 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 am

mcmand wrote:Honestly the LLM is a better fit. My law school offers LLMs to foreign lawyers, and from what I observed, their coursework doesn't "hide the ball" or assume knowledge like JD courses do. They assume you know nothing of how courts are structured or anything about US government in general, so they hold your hand through it.
I am considering Emory's accelarated JD program for foreign lawyers. I dont have plans to work in a big law so i think maybe i am just too frenzy on the number game. However, I believe JD is much better than a LLM coz I want to set some US branch of my law office someday and the LLM is just too short to get enough knowleadge of US law

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:04 pm

If your ultimate goal is to return to China and practice, I would ask whether it is worth three years and $150,000 to get a credential that is unlikely to meaningfully help your practice in China. It might be a good experience for you personally and an exciting change of pace, but it comes at a high cost.

If you simply want to be licensed in the US, it is possible to take the California bar as a foreign lawyer without any further legal education (other than studying for the bar). The pass rates for people who attempt this are low, however.

If your goal is to learn American law, keep in mind that most of the day-to-day skills American lawyers use aren't learned in law school. Even after three years of JD study you're not really an expert in any field of law.

If your goal is a job practicing law in the US, plenty of lawyers graduate from T20-T30 schools and get very good jobs (although some do not). Keep in mind that non-Biglaw firms may be less willing to sponsor work visas.

The lawyers you work with should be fine for writing a recommendation, but you should try to include at least one letter from a professor who actually taught you in school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”