Fearing sub-par work experience during 2nd gap year Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
southernnewbie

New

Fearing sub-par work experience during 2nd gap year

Post by southernnewbie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:10 pm

I know this is a common question, but answers may be different for each individual scenario. I plan to take a 2nd gap year after undergrad to study more for the LSAT, think more about what I want to do and where I should go to law school, etc. But I'm worried about finding a job that will look good on my resume and not be a liability when I apply next year. I currently work for a nonprofit in an AmeriCorps position that will end in July, and I don't really feel like this position has prepared me for any jobs that I would actually enjoy. My employability is also affected by the fact that I have a liberal arts degree and I live in a relatively small city that just doesn't have that many opportunities.

If I don't get a real job and end up doing odd jobs (Uber driver, dog walker, retail?), how much will that hurt my chances at good law schools? Could I mitigate the damage with interesting volunteer work or something like that? Would another AmeriCorps year (which I don't really think counts as "work experience") look good, or just look like I was stuck?

I have a high GPA (3.9+) from a selective college and expect a solid LSAT score (at least upper 160s) based on my practice tests. Could these numbers make up for a disappointing resume in the eyes of T20 schools?

blueapple

Silver

Re: Fearing sub-par work experience during 2nd gap year

Post by blueapple » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:30 pm

You'll be fine. I took two years off between college and law school and in my second year off I worked at a restaurant. My cycle went as expected and I ended up at a T13.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 pm

My resume definitely looked like I was "stuck" for a few years and it didn't matter at all. Got into T14s with the scholarships my numbers said I would get, etc. It's all about the numbers, just focus on getting your LSAT score as high as you can possibly get it

Bronze

Post by 239840 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I kind of feel like I'll be in the same situation. I'm glad some of you posted with reassuring anecdotes. I have a liberal arts degree and live in a small city as well. It's been hard to find anything that seems like it'd look good on a resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”