Engineering manager looking to transition to law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chelsealaw

New

Engineering manager looking to transition to law

Post by Chelsealaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:30 pm

Folks- i’m an engineering manager working in an automotive company. I have bachelors and a masters in engineering. I want to take on a new challenge and have been very interested in law school.

Two questions for the wise folks on this forum:

1. What are my odds for getting into a law school? I’m in mid 30s and this is a bit unconventional

2. What’s the best path forward? Assuming my previous education helps me... for example I already have a bachelors. What do I need to do?.

Thank you all
:D Chelsea

Eleven

New

Re: Engineering manager looking to transition to law

Post by Eleven » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 pm

What is your undergraduate GPA? You need to take the LSAT.

Chelsealaw

New

Post by Chelsealaw » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 am

Undergrad 3.7 and grad 3.9

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:36 am

Your UGPA is all that matters here and it's decent for getting into most good law schools. The only other major factor is your LSAT.

If you want to take it, do a prep course and give yourself at least 6 months to prep. You want to get north of a 165. Scores range from 120-180, and 165+ is what will get you into decent schools, and even higher will get you into top schools. But it's pretty impossible to get a solid LSAT score without extensive prep.

The question remains if it's worth going through all of the prep. What animates your interest in being a lawyer? What sort of practice are you envisioning? Have you talked to many lawyers?
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doggozeg

New

Post by doggozeg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 pm

All you need to do is take the LSAT (only offered on paper and a few times per year) and then put together an application on LSAC. Applications for the next cycle open around September 1, 2018. I'd recommend an LSAT prep course or at least some practice tests.

Your age, while not common, is definitely fine. And engineering is viewed favorably.

Your odds will be based on GPA + LSAT primarily. So get a high LSAT. Aim for 170+ if possible. Your GPA is excellent.

Steps:

1. Make an account at https://www.lsac.org/.
2. Sign up for LSAT and take said LSAT.
3. Get application components (letters of rec, official transcript, essays, etc.)
4. Apply. I would recommend next cycle, 2018-2019, starting September.

So you have a good timeline. Everything is centralized through LSAC.
Last edited by doggozeg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm

why do you want to go to law school?

Chelsealaw

New

Post by Chelsealaw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:10 am

pancakes3 wrote:why do you want to go to law school?
Fair question... I want to be at the intersection of patent law and technology. There’s a lot of opportunity to streamline and optimize how corporations manage and handle that space. I’ve personally dealt with it as an engineer. I also don’t understand it well enough, and think this is an opportunity to get s better understanding.

Financially, I don’t think law will be better for me.. currently at $150K+bonus... but it’s a passion / interest I’ve always had. Following my passion :)

Chelsealaw

New

Post by Chelsealaw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

doggozeg wrote:All you need to do is take the LSAT (only offered on paper and a few times per year) and then put together an application on LSAC. Applications for the next cycle open around September 1, 2018. I'd recommend an LSAT prep course or at least some practice tests.

Your age, while not common, is definitely fine. And engineering is viewed favorably.

Your odds will be based on GPA + LSAT primarily. So get a high LSAT. Aim for 170+ if possible. Your GPA is excellent.

Steps:

1. Make an account at https://www.lsac.org/.
2. Sign up for LSAT and take said LSAT.
3. Get application components (letters of rec, official transcript, essays, etc.)
4. Apply. I would recommend next cycle, 2018-2019, starting September.

So you have a good timeline. Everything is centralized through LSAC.

Thank you so much

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am

Chelsealaw wrote: I want to be at the intersection of patent law and technology. There’s a lot of opportunity to streamline and optimize how corporations manage and handle that space.
I'm interested in hearing more about this (if you don't mind sharing). As an in-house patent attorney, I definitely can relate to how some of the less-than-optimal processes drive a wedge between the IP department and the engineers.

Financially, I don’t think law will be better for me.. currently at $150K+bonus... but it’s a passion / interest I’ve always had. Following my passion :)
There are in-house opportunities (I'm assuming that you want to stay at a company rather than a law firm) around that pay point. They're extremely hard to come by, though. Around here they're called "unicorn" jobs. Most IP attorneys spend 3 or 4 years busting their humps in law firms before getting a chance to go in-house.

If you want more info about the engineering to patent law transition, feel free to PM me. I was an engineer for 3 years before law school, and now I'm a patent attorney at a tech company.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”