Need Advice... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Morpheus

New

Need Advice...

Post by Morpheus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:18 pm

I am 2 years out of undergrad and will ostensibly be beginning law school at an MVP tier school this coming fall at sticker. I am well aware that I probably should not be attending law school under these circumstances. However, I am really struggling to bring myself to do what needs to be done (sit out and retake) because I do not trust that I am intelligent enough to do better than I did on the LSAT (160). I have a seat waiting for me at a great law school and I will have to give that up, with no certainty that I will be able to get into a school anywhere near that good again. I am very lucky to have gotten in where I did and I don't think I will get so lucky twice. I only got in because of my GPA (4.0). So it would at best be a very big gamble to forgo this opportunity. I just very much doubt my ability to perform better on the LSAT. I'm not sure what to do. Conventional wisdom says to take the bird in the hand, but I also know I'm in for a lot of debt if I do.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Re: Need Advice...

Post by OakBrook2021 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Retake in June, then negotiate for more money or reapply next cycle if they leave you at sticker. If you absolutely can't do better (which I highly doubt), then attend; but if you're smart/driven enough to get a 4.0, 160 is probably your ceiling. Think about it this way: you can literally make hundreds of thousands of dollars by doing better on a 4 hour test. Read the study strategies on this site and you should be looking at high 160's to low 170's if you study from now until June

edit: meant to say 160 is NOT your ceiling
Last edited by OakBrook2021 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm

You can absolutely improve on a 160. Every time you think about not retaking, I want you to imagine setting $150,000 on fire. Because that's what you're doing when you refuse to retake with that GPA.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Conventional wisdom does not suggest leaving real money on the table because you're unwilling to work harder for a four-hour test. Your bird in hand is actually an albatross of debt around your neck.

Withdraw, study, retake.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morpheus

New

Post by Morpheus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, I took the June 2007 PrepTest after having not touched the LSAT in over a year (my 160 was on the December 2016) and got a 156. Not sure if I should be encouraged or discouraged by that score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”