Should i include parents information on fafsa? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
181plz

Bronze

Should i include parents information on fafsa?

Post by 181plz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:07 am

My fafsa says I’m an independent student and can choose whether or not I’d like to report parental income. Should I? I would be reporting the income of one parent who makes between 60-80 a year

mcmand

Silver

Re: Should i include parents information on fafsa?

Post by mcmand » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 am

Don't report it. Doesn't help you, and may hurt you if the school does need based aid.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Just read each schools requirements carefully if you’re also planning on applying for need based aid. Some of them require parental information even though the FASFA classifies you as independent until you’re 26 or married (if you’re either of those disregard this though obviously)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:34 pm

TLS wrote:Just read each schools requirements carefully if you’re also planning on applying for need based aid. Some of them require parental information even though the FASFA classifies you as independent until you’re 26 or married (if you’re either of those disregard this though obviously)
But those schools don't require you to add the parental info to FAFSA. You need to include it on those schools' need-based aid applications.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS wrote:Just read each schools requirements carefully if you’re also planning on applying for need based aid. Some of them require parental information even though the FASFA classifies you as independent until you’re 26 or married (if you’re either of those disregard this though obviously)
But those schools don't require you to add the parental info to FAFSA. You need to include it on those schools' need-based aid applications.
No some of the require it on the FASFA as well. For example see UVAs instructions. https://content.law.virginia.edu/financ ... ancial-aid

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:09 pm

UChicago told me last year that I needed parental information on FASFA to be considered for need-based aid unless I was over 26. They said I would still be considered for merit aid without it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:05 pm

TLS wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
No some of the require it on the FASFA as well. For example see UVAs instructions. https://content.law.virginia.edu/financ ... ancial-aid
Huh. I wonder if that's changed because everyone stopped using the NeedAccess system. I could swear that they specifically drew a line between FAFSA and need-based aid when I applied.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”