Why does such a small % of T10 students end up working in California? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sash

New

Why does such a small % of T10 students end up working in California?

Post by sash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:20 pm

It seems like, aside from Stanford, most students end up on the East coast.

Less jobs available in CA? Lower salaries so T10 students dont want to go? T10 students mostly not from CA so they just arent interested in CA? Or is it just for a first year job they take what they can get and that's probably closer to where they went to school? Does Stanford dominate the market?

Just curious bc ultimately I'd want to end up back in CA and I always hear that you can work wherever you want if you go to a T10 and anything other than that is more regional...is that just a myth

Job security should be more important than location I know

TrustMeImALawStudent

New

Re: Why does such a small % of T10 students end up working in California?

Post by TrustMeImALawStudent » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:34 pm

A) The California Bar Exam.

sash

New

Post by sash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:31 pm

TrustMeImALawStudent wrote:A) The California Bar Exam.
Damn really a T10 student cant handle the CA bar??

TrustMeImALawStudent

New

Post by TrustMeImALawStudent » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm

sash wrote:
Lol. I know the pass rate at T10/T14 schools is higher than the dismal pass rate of general CA bar test takers, but the intimidation factor is there, and I think that factors into people opting for NY, Chi, etc.

Wakhancorridor

New

Post by Wakhancorridor » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Part of the reason for Berkeleys ranking drop might be due to the California bar. It sends by far a larger proportion of students to California jobs and then has to deal with bar pass rate in the 80s, when it'd almost definitely be in the 90s if more of the class chose New York.

But also keep in mind that in addition to the difficult bar, there are maybe only 200-300 SA positions in SF/LA each year whereas there are well over 1000 SA positions in New York.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm

sash wrote:
I imagine it mostly has to do with the majority of T10 students being unwilling to relocate to California when the state already has Berk, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and others supplying new lawyers. I also know no more about this than anyone else here though.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:54 pm

At my t10, ocs pushes hard to get people to interview in ny. There are fewer jobs in CA and It looks a lot better for the school to place 9/10 people in NY biglaw than it does for them to place 6/10 in CA biglaw.

sash

New

Post by sash » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:05 pm

dabigchina wrote:At my t10, ocs pushes hard to get people to interview in ny. There are fewer jobs in CA and It looks a lot better for the school to place 9/10 people in NY biglaw than it does for them to place 6/10 in CA biglaw.
That’s unfortunate. Would my being from CA help me out at all? ie when I’m coming home from the summer I’ll probably be able to find an internship here? Totally hypothetical too soon for me to be talking about this but it’s scary to think I’ll have to fight to be apart of the like 15% of students that end up in CA (I think duke or NYU have that % I don’t remember)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 pm

sash wrote:
dabigchina wrote:At my t10, ocs pushes hard to get people to interview in ny. There are fewer jobs in CA and It looks a lot better for the school to place 9/10 people in NY biglaw than it does for them to place 6/10 in CA biglaw.
That’s unfortunate. Would my being from CA help me out at all? ie when I’m coming home from the summer I’ll probably be able to find an internship here? Totally hypothetical too soon for me to be talking about this but it’s scary to think I’ll have to fight to be apart of the like 15% of students that end up in CA (I think duke or NYU have that % I don’t remember)
Yeah if you have ties and actively seek to go back to CA that's a big part of it.
The path of least resistance is just through NYC so most people do that.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 am

sash wrote:
Yes. Ca ties help a lot, especially with CA native firms.

Having good grades helps a lot too. However, I know a couple people who made it back to CA with median grades and extensive ties.

Also remember, not everyone wants to work in CA. A lot of kids are of the opinion that NYC biglaw is more prestigious and a better place to start their careers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”