Not Writing Why Essays Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kiklavan

Bronze

Not Writing Why Essays

Post by kiklavan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Not Writing Why Essays

Post by Rigo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Above the 75%s (and in yield protect territory) is precisely when writing a Why Essay is very important.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Last edited by kiklavan on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 pm

kiklavan wrote:If my numbers are above a schools 75th percentile, is it okay for me not to write the Why Essay? Is there a chance this will hurt my chance at scholarships?

I'm specifically talking about Cornell tbh
Are you referencing the 1000-charachter "interest" essay that's required? Or is there an optional Why X essay that I'm totally missing?

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:21 pm

kiklavan wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:
kiklavan wrote:If my numbers are above a schools 75th percentile, is it okay for me not to write the Why Essay? Is there a chance this will hurt my chance at scholarships?

Are you referencing the 1000-charachter "interest" essay that's required? Or is there an optional Why X essay that I'm totally missing?
Not required. I haven't seen a 1000-character interest essay. There's an optional Why X essay for schools including UPenn, Cornell, Michigan, Berkeley etc.
Weird! Are you applying through LSAC? It’s in the general questions section for me; no mention of optional “why x” in the app or instructions. Working on it now in any case. I am so bad at articulating interest even when it’s genuine.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:51 pm

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am

kiklavan wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

Not required. I haven't seen a 1000-character interest essay. There's an optional Why X essay for schools including UPenn, Cornell, Michigan, Berkeley etc.
Weird! Are you applying through LSAC? It’s in the general questions section for me; no mention of optional “why x” in the app or instructions. Working on it now in any case. I am so bad at articulating interest even when it’s genuine.
Yeah! For which schools do you see the 1000-character interest thing? Same here haha
Cornell has a section on their application where you can write about why you are interested in Cornell in 1000 characters or less. Most people use that space for their why Cornell, but if you have more you want to say you could always attach an addendum. As far as I know they're the only school with that on their application.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:14 am

kiklavan wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

Yeah! For which schools do you see the 1000-character interest thing? Same here haha
Cornell has a section on their application where you can write about why you are interested in Cornell in 1000 characters or less. Most people use that space for their why Cornell, but if you have more you want to say you could always attach an addendum. As far as I know they're the only school with that on their application.
Gotcha. I haven't gotten to Cornell yet so haven't seen it. But Berkeley & UPenn definitely give the option of a Why Essay too
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. Cornell is the only one I know of with that section actually on the app and then for the other schools you can just attach a Why X addendum.

thingy

New

Post by thingy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Do schools allow you to add an optional essay after submitting your application?

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:33 pm

thingy wrote:Do schools allow you to add an optional essay after submitting your application?
Yup, just email them with something along the lines of "Please append this attachment to my application." Or something with less alliteration because most law schools put you into the auto-ding pile if they don't like the way you word your email correspondence.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”