if dinged, reapply next cycle? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Carly Jo

New

if dinged, reapply next cycle?

Post by Carly Jo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm older (the 30s) and realistically only want to go to the school where I live, #25-35 state school. Very financially secure so I will not have any debt, going into law because I like it-it has always been my dream, and I have realistic expectations about employment prospects after school. My old GPA haunts me. My LSAT =75 percentile exactly for that school, but GPA well below 25, (2.9) though VERY strong upward trend, I did another 120 semester hours at a 4.01 after taking five years off to distance myself. Average softs. The school's profile from lsac shows that for people with my comparable stats they admitted about 40% of them. I want to apply for this cycle (everything is ready) to send in. However, I am afraid I will be dinged. I've prepared a Why X essay and a GPA addendum- father died @18, and I scooted by in school at a 2.0, with some rough semesters even years after his death until I finally decided I wasn't ready or mature enough to focus on school. Recent work is more indicative of current abilities. I don't need a pity party, I worked hard and completed 120 hours in 6 consecutive semesters including summers, I took mostly all upper level courses since my transfer credits knocked out most of the general requirements. I kept taking classes to "pad" my gpa as much as possible. I graduated from the school I am applying to with a B.A., a B.S., and minor. I made the Dean's list each semester and somehow managed to graduate Summa Cum Laude and in multiple honor societies because they only counted resident grades, no transfer grades. Decent amount of volunteering and strong ties to the community. Back to the point,- Has anyone been dinged from the school they want to go to and reapplied? Do you rewrite your PS? Does it look super bad that you applied, were denied, then basically tried again? I know I have a chance of being accepted but I don't want to study for the lsat again unless I absolutely have to if I'm denied. Any thoughts? Applying broadly as a splitter is not as feasible when you have a home and family :-( If I do not get accepted I plan to take June LSAT and apply early next cycle, I don't know if I could study a crap ton between now and February, but it is possible. I am applying binding decision to this school if that helps. I basically do not want to wait to apply next cycle and delay unless I'm forced to. Has anyone been dinged then reapplied and been admitted? Is it worth applying this year and seeing what happens?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: if dinged, reapply next cycle?

Post by Rigo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Eh, I wouldn't do binding early decision and take yourself out of the running for money.

Carly Jo

New

Post by Carly Jo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Rigo wrote:Eh, I wouldn't do binding early decision and take yourself out of the running for money.
Their binding ED has a much quicker turn around time for a decision. So if I got dinged, I would have more time to study for June LSAT. At this point I am more concerned with just being admitted. My entire application probably screams "desperate state resident"... :-) My family is being super optimistic and we are mentally preparing for an admission, but I still would appreciate any input from anyone who knows anything about applying to the same school after being denied.
Thank you!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:39 pm

You're at their 75th LSAT. That's saying something.
Usually those 25-35 range schools care more about getting higher LSATs ime.
Don't sell yourself short and straddle yourself with sticker just because you're insecure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”