Undergrad Transfer Student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amanda4678

New

Undergrad Transfer Student

Post by amanda4678 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently decided that I am interested in going to law school. Right now I am a student at UCLA. I transferred to UCLA from a community college. I was just wondering how they calculate your undergraduate GPA as a transfer student. Do they look at the two separately? Do they value the GPA at UCLA more than the community college? Or do they just simply take the two GPA's from each school and combine it? Also, if you have a high GPA and do really well on the LSAT, does it harm me in any way that I was a transfer student?

Thanks for your help!

Amanda

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Undergrad Transfer Student

Post by UVA2B » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 pm

They collect all your transcripts, plug in all of your grades and out pops your LSAC GPA. The classes will be counted in accordance with their relative credit hours. There is no bearing on where the class took place, community college or UCLA.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 pm

UVA2B wrote:They collect all your transcripts, plug in all of your grades and out pops your LSAC GPA. The classes will be counted in accordance with their relative credit hours. There is no bearing on where the class took place, community college or UCLA.
CC transfer bumping this

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:06 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
UVA2B wrote:They collect all your transcripts, plug in all of your grades and out pops your LSAC GPA. The classes will be counted in accordance with their relative credit hours. There is no bearing on where the class took place, community college or UCLA.
CC transfer bumping this
...why?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:09 pm

What UVA said.

I was a CC transfer and performed exactly as my numbers warranted, so I imagine it wasn’t held against me in the slightest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
CC transfer bumping this
...why?
Because as a CC transfer one can get really self-conscious about whether that affects you relative to people with shinier resumes (having gone through this twice now). I figure it's helpful to give accurate advice...?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:Because as a CC transfer one can get really self-conscious about whether that affects you relative to people with shinier resumes (having gone through this twice now). I figure it's helpful to give accurate advice...?
It doesn't. As was already established.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 pm

(I think bumping usually suggests you're re-asking the original question rather than that you're agreeing with the post you're bumping.)

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:41 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(I think bumping usually suggests you're re-asking the original question rather than that you're agreeing with the post you're bumping.)
I figured I didn't know what bumping is :P

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am

LSAC takes all transcripts, as others above have mentioned.

I was also a CC transfer and my LSAC GPA reflected all grades from both my CC and the school where I got my BA.

Will being a transfer student hurt you? Most likely not since what matters most is your GPA that LSAC calculates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”