Senior year GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kittykat2199

New

Senior year GPA

Post by Kittykat2199 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Hey guys, new user here. I'm currently a junior in undergrad. my GPA is a little low right now (3.3), but i think I can get it up to 3.4-3.5 range. I only have 12 classes left to take with 3 semesters to go. So my question is, do you think it would be beneficial for me to try and graduate a semester early in December, in order to maximize my GPA? From what I've looked at your second semester senior year grades aren't going to play a a factor in law school admissions, so do you think that it would be beneficial to try and get all 12 done my next two semesters and over this summer, instead of wasting time taking classes after already getting decisions back from law schools? Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, thanks.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Senior year GPA

Post by UVA2B » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Kittykat2199 wrote:Hey guys, new user here. I'm currently a junior in undergrad. my GPA is a little low right now (3.3), but i think I can get it up to 3.4-3.5 range. I only have 12 classes left to take with 3 semesters to go. So my question is, do you think it would be beneficial for me to try and graduate a semester early in December, in order to maximize my GPA? From what I've looked at your second semester senior year grades aren't going to play a a factor in law school admissions, so do you think that it would be beneficial to try and get all 12 done my next two semesters and over this summer, instead of wasting time taking classes after already getting decisions back from law schools? Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions, thanks.
They will when you make a better decision and work for a few years before applying to law school.

That said, you want your GPA as high as possible generally. But the relative value of a 3.4 vs. 3.5, for instance, will be marginal in that it will be well below medians at a lot of schools you're ideally applying at.

Your GPA is a major part of your application, but even that number should be understood in context. If you are able to drive your GPA above a school's median, it'll be helpful. If it only marginally pushes you closer to the median, then the boost will be much less pronounced. It won't be zero, but it won't be as big a boost as when you get near/above a median.

If I were to rank the relative boosts of bringing up a GPA, it'd go something like this:

1. Lifting GPA above a median
2. Going over a major milestone where soft GPA floors exist, such as above a 3.0 or 3.5 (edit note: not all schools have these floors, so this is unique to schools that actually have GPA floors)
3. Lifting GPA above 75th
4. Lifting GPA above 25th
5. Going higher over a median
6. Going higher over a 75th
7. Going higher over a 25th
8. Getting closer to GPA floor, but not over it

Hope this helps.

Kittykat2199

New

Post by Kittykat2199 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks for the response, definitely helpful. Just curious though on why your better off working for a few years versus going to law school after undergrad? Is that a steadfast rule that you have?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Kittykat2199 wrote:Thanks for the response, definitely helpful. Just curious though on why your better off working for a few years versus going to law school after undergrad? Is that a steadfast rule that you have?
There is extensive data to show people with work experience tend to outperform their peers who apply right out of undergrad, even with equal numbers. So yeah, go do something else first for a few years. Plus it makes you more employable once you get into OCI.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Kittykat2199 wrote:Thanks for the response, definitely helpful. Just curious though on why your better off working for a few years versus going to law school after undergrad? Is that a steadfast rule that you have?
You get work experience. You learn how to do things like pay rent. You gain general life experience and maturity. And you get the chance to figure out if you actually want to be a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kittykat2199

New

Post by Kittykat2199 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
You get work experience. You learn how to do things like pay rent. You gain general life experience and maturity. And you get the chance to figure out if you actually want to be a lawyer.
That makes a lot of sense. Any suggestions of jobs in the legal field I could get in between undergrad and law school. I'd rather not just get some random job for a few years. Even if it pays well that just seems like kind of a waste of time if it's not in a field I'm interested in.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Working a year or two as a paralegal would give you exposure to a law firm.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”