What role does being Instate or out of state play in Admissions? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kittykat2199

New

What role does being Instate or out of state play in Admissions?

Post by Kittykat2199 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, hoping I could get something cleared up. i'm currently a junior in undergrad, and plan to graduate early next December. So I know for undergrad it's much more difficult at public schools to be accepted if you're from out of state versus in state. So I was wondering if it works the same way for public law schools. For example, if I have 3.5 and 163 LSAT and I apply to UNC as an in-state student, would I have a better chance of getting in than someone with the same numbers who lives in Florida? Thanks in advance.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: What role does being Instate or out of state play in Admissions?

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:43 pm

No, with the caveat of UVA, which explicitly has preference due to state statute for instate kids built into their admissions decisions

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm

In some states, being in-state can actually screw you over in terms of scholarship money. Some state schools give out out of state student "equalizing" scholarship money, where they cap the amount they're giving in-state students and give the bulk of it to out-of-state students. South Carolina Law friends complained about this frequently, though I'm not sure if it happens in other states, e.g., NC specifically.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kittykat2199

New

Post by Kittykat2199 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Gotcha, thank you. Also, do you know if in-state versus out-of state affects scholarship amounts? Like in my previous example with UNC, let's say that both students, the one who was instate and the one who was out of state got accepted. Because the out of state student is paying $40,000 in tuition versus the in-state kid who's paying only $20,000, would UNC likely give more money to the kid who is having to pay $40,000 a year?

Kittykat2199

New

Post by Kittykat2199 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Good timing there I don't even think you saw my question yet haha. Thank you

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”