Rolling Admissions Anxieties Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigMoose

New

Rolling Admissions Anxieties

Post by BigMoose » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Over Thanksgiving weekend, Nov 23-26, I began and finished applying to a bunch of the T14 with a 175 LSAT and a 3.8 GPA. Did applying "late" significantly hurt my chances of getting in to the top schools?
Also, when and how should I expect to hear back from most of the schools? Will it be a few more months? Will they email me or send me a letter? Thanks.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Rolling Admissions Anxieties

Post by UVA2B » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:32 pm

1. You didn't apply late. You're right in the midst of the time most will apply. Don't worry about this.

2. It depends. You have competitive numbers for all of the T14, so you might hear in the next few weeks from some, while others might wait longer and reach into January-February-March. You might get WLed here or there for various reasons, or you may just go on a wait and see pile.

3. Admissions come through phone calls, emails, status checkers, and snail mail. Typically you'll get one of the faster methods before you get a slower method like snail mail.

4. Relax. They're not going to forget about you. You're likely going to get into some good schools if your entire application is solid, and likely will have some competitive tuition discounts to weigh against each other. You've now been waiting ~2 weeks. Some people wait 4-5 months before hearing from a school.

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm

UVA2B wrote:1. You didn't apply late. You're right in the midst of the time most will apply. Don't worry about this.

2. It depends. You have competitive numbers for all of the T14, so you might hear in the next few weeks from some, while others might wait longer and reach into January-February-March. You might get WLed here or there for various reasons, or you may just go on a wait and see pile.

3. Admissions come through phone calls, emails, status checkers, and snail mail. Typically you'll get one of the faster methods before you get a slower method like snail mail.

4. Relax. They're not going to forget about you. You're likely going to get into some good schools if your entire application is solid, and likely will have some competitive tuition discounts to weigh against each other. You've now been waiting ~2 weeks. Some people wait 4-5 months before hearing from a school.
Thanks bud. That's a load off my mind. I figured most people would apply as soon as physically possible. Schools will really admit a student through the status checker? Is it safe to assume that they prompt the student to check their status via email?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

It's rare you only get a status checker change, but occasionally habitual status checker people will catch the status checker changing before the other method (which will typically be either a phone call or email). If you don't check your status checkers regularly, you'll get follow-on correspondence in another form.

You'll never get in to a law school without them notifying you about it. When that will be depends on how competitive you are at that school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”