Negotiation tips--BC and UIUC Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jstanhope14

New

Negotiation tips--BC and UIUC

Post by jstanhope14 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:46 pm

hey guys,

I have a 163 and 3.66. I'm waiting to hear back from UIUC and BC, both of which I'm strongly considering. Are there any negotiation tips that are specific to these schools? Are there certain schools (BU obvs, northeastern, any others?) that you think I could use $$$ offers from to bump up BC and UIUC?

cavalier1138

Re: Negotiation tips--BC and UIUC

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:13 pm

There is no way in hell BU or BC will negotiate with a Northeastern offer, so there's that.

Part of the trouble you're going to run into here is trying to play regional schools in totally separate regions off of one another. BU and BC are unlikely to care about a UIUC offer and vice-versa. So I'd highly recommend finding another school in the Midwest to use for negotiations if you can (or just deciding what region you want to work in).

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:There is no way in hell BU or BC will negotiate with a Northeastern offer, so there's that.

Part of the trouble you're going to run into here is trying to play regional schools in totally separate regions off of one another. BU and BC are unlikely to care about a UIUC offer and vice-versa. So I'd highly recommend finding another school in the Midwest to use for negotiations if you can (or just deciding what region you want to work in).
What schools do you have in mind? ND, WUSTL, Loyola, IU?

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:28 pm

BC doesn't negotiate. I tried with more money from a t14, they told me (and others last cycle) they won't move on $$$. Sorry.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:40 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:There is no way in hell BU or BC will negotiate with a Northeastern offer, so there's that.

What schools do you have in mind? ND, WUSTL, Loyola, IU?
Iowa, ND, and WashU would all be good candidates for negotiations (and WashU has better employment outcomes, so it may be a better choice if you can boost your LSAT for cash).

Just use common sense in thinking about negotiations. Why would UIUC negotiate based on a Loyola offer?

As with all of these cases, your best negotiating chip is a higher LSAT.

that1one1guy

New

Post by that1one1guy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 am

Last year I had similar numbers to you and was offered a $40k per yer out-of-state scholarship at UIUC. I used a regional T2 full scholarship offer to negotiate up to a full scholarship offer from UIUC.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”