Submitting Additional Letter of Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msgorm11

New

Submitting Additional Letter of Recommendation

Post by msgorm11 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:35 pm

I've submitted applications with three letters of recommendation, but recently learned that I will be receiving a fourth that I would very much like to include (will likely be better than the others). Is there a standard procedure for adding a letter of recommendation to already-submitted applications?

WhatEvenIsMyLife

New

Re: Submitting Additional Letter of Recommendation

Post by WhatEvenIsMyLife » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm

I believe you can still assign letters to schools you have completed applications for, and they'll just get sent to the school as with any other letter. You could also reach out to the admissions department of the school and ask if they would put a hold on your application and if they would be willing to wait for the new letter to evaluate your file.

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:31 pm

Bumping this thread: Does anyone else have experience with this? I submitted apps over the weekend and then realized that I hadn't included a third LOR that I hope will make a big impact. It should arrive by Tuesday evening. Would it be best to email the schools and ask them to put my app on hold, or is there an easier way to go about this?

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Oneanddone? wrote:Bumping this thread: Does anyone else have experience with this? I submitted apps over the weekend and then realized that I hadn't included a third LOR that I hope will make a big impact. It should arrive by Tuesday evening. Would it be best to email the schools and ask them to put my app on hold, or is there an easier way to go about this?
If you assign a new LOR to a school after you have submitted an application and an initial LSAC report has been sent, an updated report will be sent with the new LOR.

From LSAC's Frequently Asked Questions:
When will law school(s) receive my letter(s) of recommendation?
They may be sent when your file is complete or at a later date dependent upon the preferences of each law school. Letter(s) received by LSAC after law school(s) receive your initial Credential Assembly Service report will also be sent to school(s) in accordance with their unique needs and as long as the admission term is still current.
Why was more than one report sent to a law school?
After an initial (first time) report is sent to the law school, an update will be sent if additional/corrected transcript data, an LSAT score, another letter of recommendation, a TOEFL/IELTS score, or prior matriculation is added to your file. The status messages identify the reason for the update.
Since you only applied this weekend, it's unlikely that schools will review your application before the new LOR is assigned and updated report sent (which, if the new LOR is assigned Tuesday, should be sent around Wednesday).

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:56 pm

personpitch wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:Bumping this thread: Does anyone else have experience with this? I submitted apps over the weekend and then realized that I hadn't included a third LOR that I hope will make a big impact. It should arrive by Tuesday evening. Would it be best to email the schools and ask them to put my app on hold, or is there an easier way to go about this?
If you assign a new LOR to a school after you have submitted an application and an initial LSAC report has been sent, an updated report will be sent with the new LOR.

From LSAC's Frequently Asked Questions:
When will law school(s) receive my letter(s) of recommendation?
They may be sent when your file is complete or at a later date dependent upon the preferences of each law school. Letter(s) received by LSAC after law school(s) receive your initial Credential Assembly Service report will also be sent to school(s) in accordance with their unique needs and as long as the admission term is still current.
Why was more than one report sent to a law school?
After an initial (first time) report is sent to the law school, an update will be sent if additional/corrected transcript data, an LSAT score, another letter of recommendation, a TOEFL/IELTS score, or prior matriculation is added to your file. The status messages identify the reason for the update.
Since you only applied this weekend, it's unlikely that schools will review your application before the new LOR is assigned and updated report sent (which, if the new LOR is assigned Tuesday, should be sent around Wednesday).
Thank you SO much for your help! I was having trouble tracking down that information and I really appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”