C&F Speeding Tickets Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Teacher

New

C&F Speeding Tickets

Post by Teacher » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Hey y'all,

I've tried to search on TLS to see if anyone has addressed this exact topic, but I wasn't able to find it. Hopefully it's an easy answer for someone.

If I have two speeding tickets to report, does that mean I need to answer "yes" to the C&F question that asks about criminal record, and then attach an addendum about it just being speeding tickets? Or can I put "no" to that question and still attached an addendum about the tickets? I don't want to appear shady by putting no, but I also don't want to needlessly answer yes.

Thank you!

TexasApplicant

New

Re: C&F Speeding Tickets

Post by TexasApplicant » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not sure if I understand the question. You want to disclose your tickets, but the question doesn't ask about tickets? If that's the case, don't disclose. Different schools have different levels of disclosure; not everyone asks for tickets.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah, you need to be more specific about the question. If the request is for criminal convictions, speeding tickets don't count. But some schools specifically include traffic violations in their C&F questions.

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm

So for the applications that say “excluding minor traffic violations,” you wouldn’t disclose speeding tickets at all? Those are the applications I’m concerned about; I’ve read that it’s best to disclose even if they say you don’t have to.

FeelingTerritorial

New

Post by FeelingTerritorial » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't think anyone advocates disclosing something that is clearly excluded from the question. Generally, the issue is whether there is some ambiguity in the question; if there is ambiguity, then disclose. Here, if these are just normal speeding tickets, there doesn't seem to be any ambiguity. If these were more than run of the mill speeding tickets--say, you were charged with criminal speeding--then obviously disclose. But if they are just normal speeding tickets, then it seems to me that they are clearly minor traffic violations and there is no need to disclose since they are excluded from the question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Teacher wrote:So for the applications that say “excluding minor traffic violations,” you wouldn’t disclose speeding tickets at all.
I would not.

As FeelingTerritorial suggests, you should certainly disclose criminal acts involving a vehicle (e.g., felony speeding, reckless driving). But if you got cited for doing 77 mph on the freeway or running a red light or something, that seems outside the call of your particular question.

Yulifus

New

Post by Yulifus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:13 pm

If the "Criminal record" portion on C & F specifically says "including traffic violations", then answer "yes" and attach an addendum. If traffic violations are not mentioned, then your answer is "no".

Traffic tickets are not criminal violations. Law schools are probably fishing for DUIs.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:35 am

Yulifus wrote:If the "Criminal record" portion on C & F specifically says "including traffic violations", then answer "yes" and attach an addendum. If traffic violations are not mentioned, then your answer is "no".

Traffic tickets are not criminal violations. Law schools are probably fishing for DUIs.
Depends on the state of violation bro. For instance, all moving violations in GA are at least misdemeanors of some kind.

Yulifus

New

Post by Yulifus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 am

RCSOB657 wrote:
Yulifus wrote:If the "Criminal record" portion on C & F specifically says "including traffic violations", then answer "yes" and attach an addendum. If traffic violations are not mentioned, then your answer is "no".

Depends on the state of violation bro. For instance, all moving violations in GA are at least misdemeanors of some kind.
To be safe, it's better to call admissions and ask if you need to include traffic tickets on your c&f.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:33 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Teacher wrote:So for the applications that say “excluding minor traffic violations,” you wouldn’t disclose speeding tickets at all.
I would not.

As FeelingTerritorial suggests, you should certainly disclose criminal acts involving a vehicle (e.g., felony speeding, reckless driving). But if you got cited for doing 77 mph on the freeway or running a red light or something, that seems outside the call of your particular question.
Minor traffic violations typically only mean parking tickets. I would disclose your speeding tickets.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Yulifus wrote:
To be safe, it's better to call admissions and ask if you need to include traffic tickets on your c&f.
To be safe, it's best to be candid and read the question broadly and answer accordingly. You are much more likely to encounter problems from under-disclosure than from over-disclosure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”