Addendum for an F Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BigMoose

New

Addendum for an F

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 am

I got an F in an introductory course in undergrad. I had a medical emergency and missed a test that the professor wouldn't allow me to retake. My GPA, thankfully, is still highish --8.83 according to LSAC. Should I write an addendum explaining that particular grade and mentioning how it dropped my GPA from an 8.93?

RCSOB657

Gold

Re: Addendum for an F

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 am

What?

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Well you more than doubled my gpa

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:57 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:What?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Don't write the addendum. Also, you really don't know what your GPA would have been "but for" an F.

Also, for those wondering, some schools use a 9 point scale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:29 pm

No. You're only drawing attention to the F and the F isn't going to make a difference in your case anyway. That GPA converts to about a 3.93 on a 4.0 scale, which is above even Yale's median GPA. I don't think most adcoms actually comb through your transcript unless theres a reason to. Otherwise, as far as I know, they just look at a summary that shows information about your school, your GPA by year, etc.

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Wow. Huge mistake. I don't know why I wrote 8.83 and 8.93. And I did it twice.That's so weird. I meant to write 3.83 and 3.93. It's no longer double anyone's GPA and it's no longer above Yale's median GPA, if that changes anything.
Last edited by BigMoose on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:52 pm

how do you know that you would have walked out with a 3.93?

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:54 pm

pancakes3 wrote:how do you know that you would have walked out with a 3.93?
I calculated it using LSAC's grade conversion table.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm

BigMoose wrote:
how? like if you withdrew from the class and took it out of the equation entirely, or did you enter in an A for the class, assuming you'd ace it?

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:04 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
how? like if you withdrew from the class and took it out of the equation entirely, or did you enter in an A for the class, assuming you'd ace it?
Since I retook the course and got an A, I calculated what my GPA would be by taking the F out of the equation entirely. At that point, because of some ambiguous language on the LSAC website, I wasn't sure if my F would be counted towards my LSAC GPA, so I self-calculated what my GPA would be with and without the F.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:12 pm

BigMoose wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
Since I retook the course and got an A, I calculated what my GPA would be by taking the F out of the equation entirely. At that point, because of some ambiguous language on the LSAC website, I wasn't sure if my F would be counted towards my LSAC GPA, so I self-calculated what my GPA would be with and without the F.
That's not how that works. If your school isn't even more weirder than an 8 point scale or 1234 point scale, it will calculate using all grades, which would mean the F, the A, and the credit hours for both.

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
That's not how that works. If your school isn't even more weirder than an 8 point scale or 1234 point scale, it will calculate using all grades, which would mean the F, the A, and the credit hours for both.
I thought I said that. The way LSAC actually calculated my GPA, meaning with the F and the A, I ended up with a 3.83. If they hadn't counted the F and only counted the A, I would have had a 3.93.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 pm

I think the important question here is, what caused the F? If you just did a shitty job and had trouble in the class I don’t think there’s any need to write an addendum. If there were extenuating circumstances like a death in the family or personal illness, that might be a legitimate reason. Still with just one bad class and a relatively high Gpa it seems unnecessary

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:08 pm

181plz wrote:I think the important question here is, what caused the F? If you just did a shifty job and had trouble in the class I don’t think there’s any need to write an addendum. If there were extenuating circumstances like a death in the family or personal illness, that might be a legitimate reason. Still with just one bad class and a relatively high Gpa it seems unnecessary
I got the F because I was sick and missed a test that the professor wouldn't allow me to make up. So I had a 0 averaged into my grades for the class and I ended up failing.

181plz

Bronze

Post by 181plz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:09 pm

BigMoose wrote:
181plz wrote:I think the important question here is, what caused the F? If you just did a shifty job and had trouble in the class I don’t think there’s any need to write an addendum. If there were extenuating circumstances like a death in the family or personal illness, that might be a legitimate reason. Still with just one bad class and a relatively high Gpa it seems unnecessary
I got the F because I was sick and missed a test that the professor wouldn't allow me to make up. So I had a 0 averaged into my grades for the class and I ended up failing.

Ah right sorry forgot you mentioned that in OP, got distracted by the Gpa stuff. Still seems unnecessary imo but I’d consult the more experienced opinions on the forum

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm

181plz wrote:
BigMoose wrote:

Ah right sorry forgot you mentioned that in OP, got distracted by the Gpa stuff. Still seems unnecessary imo but I’d consult the more experienced opinions on the forum
Who are the more experienced opinions on the forum?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:52 pm

BigMoose wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
i mean, i know you're smart and you were likely to have gotten an A if you had taken that class but the fact that you retook the class and got an A doesn't mean that you "should have" a 3.93. (you could have gotten an A in the class by virtue of sitting through the material twice).

my point is that there is no way of knowing absolutely that the gpa "would be" a 3.93.

the ultimate point is that an adcomm would wrinkle their brow at that assertion and the addendum would do more harm than good.

the even bigger point is that you've got a good GPA despite that F, and you should be focusing on maxing your LSATs instead of worrying about a grade addendum.

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:58 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
BigMoose wrote:
i mean, i know you're smart and you were likely to have gotten an A if you had taken that class but the fact that you retook the class and got an A doesn't mean that you "should have" a 3.93. (you could have gotten an A in the class by virtue of sitting through the material twice).

my point is that there is no way of knowing absolutely that the gpa "would be" a 3.93.

the ultimate point is that an adcomm would wrinkle their brow at that assertion and the addendum would do more harm than good.

the even bigger point is that you've got a good GPA despite that F, and you should be focusing on maxing your LSATs instead of worrying about a grade addendum.
Thanks. I'm not worrying about the addendum as much as I'm wondering if it would be helpful to submit one. I'm pretty much maxed out on the LSAT--I got a 175-- so I'm dealing with the little things now.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm

3.83/175 is presumptive-Harvard-admit numbers. You're fine.

This addendum would be like popping a pimple on your nose. It feels good to "do something" about a minor flaw that you're insecure about, but you're really just drawing unnecessary attention to that very flaw. I'd let it be.

If you do write an addendum, don't blame your professor and don't get ticky-tacky about LSAC's transcript summary. Just explain briefly that you got an F because of a medical emergency. Such an addendum would at least be unlikely to hurt you very much.

BigMoose

New

Post by BigMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:05 pm

icechicken wrote:3.83/175 is presumptive-Harvard-admit numbers. You're fine.

This addendum would be like popping a pimple on your nose. It feels good to "do something" about a minor flaw that you're insecure about, but you're really just drawing unnecessary attention to that very flaw. I'd let it be.

If you do write an addendum, don't blame your professor and don't get ticky-tacky about LSAC's transcript summary. Just explain briefly that you got an F because of a medical emergency. Such an addendum would at least be unlikely to hurt you very much.
Thanks for the advice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”