Taking a hit to GPA or Withdrawing Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PearsonSpecterLitt

New

Taking a hit to GPA or Withdrawing

Post by PearsonSpecterLitt » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm struggling to decide between withdrawing from a class or not. Got two bad exams in a row with just finals left. The grade is currently a low B+ with a chance of A- but probably going to be B/B+ (A- is near-perfect exam grade that's impossible with the prof)

The effects on my GPA are the following:
Withdraw: 3.85
B+: 3.81
B: 3.78 (probably more likely)

These grades will probably be reflective of what I submit when I apply after next semester (I'm going to try and grind it up to 3.89 at best by taking a lower course load but ensuring high marks). No withdrawals on record. R

Also, do withdrawals have to be justified or could we just leave it there? I would say that I really did not like the subject, and because I increased my weekly work hours to 18 and several new leadership commitments, I did not see the value in continuing the class if I could not commit myself to doing the work well.

Should I withdraw? I plan on applying to T14 but want a spot at HYS, preferably Yale.

cavalier1138

Re: Taking a hit to GPA or Withdrawing

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

First, don't get wrapped up in chasing prestige, especially if you don't have unicorn goals. Second, take some time off school to work/live. Law school isn't going anywhere.

That said, a non-punitive withdrawal won't matter, especially if you haven't made a habit of doing it before this.

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Taking a hit to GPA or Withdrawing

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm

A single W might not even be noticed by the person reading your application. Really not a big deal at all. But you might not need to do that yet. Talk to your professor about this. Depending on departmental and university policy you might be able to take the class pass/fail. Most professors would rather a student finish the coursework for a P than withdraw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”