Retake in December or February? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
roxelana18

New

Retake in December or February?

Post by roxelana18 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Okay: 168, 3.96, non-URM, unique and strong softs, written materials, etc.

I'm grateful to already have been accepted into several T14s, and to have been in the first wave of interview requests for others! However, I know that I can improve my LSAT - the first time I took it cold, I scored a 178. I think that I backed down for my actual test because I was working an immensely taxing job during the time in which I was truly studying.

While I didn't apply to a single school that I would not be honored to attend, I have been eyeing the programs at schools like Columbia and Harvard - even Yale - for some time, and who among us wouldn't love to be accepted?

I'm definitely planning to retake the LSAT. If you told me that I could do it in February, that would be fantastic. A slight snafu with LSAC convinced me I could no longer register for the December test, and then I saw on the LAST DAY to register that it was still open, so I snagged a seat and am trying to prepare as though I'll take it then. I'm just afraid of psyching myself out about, you know, preparing to break 170 in a matter of weeks, and then underperforming again.

So, would the February LSAT really be a problem, from the perspective of admissions? I have no problem accepting a seat in a class and deferring for a year in order to negotiate for more aid, but I'd really hate to undergo the application process again.

Thanks for your advice! Keep up the good news! :)

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Retake in December or February?

Post by UVA2B » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:50 pm

A February LSAT for the schools you're dreaming about would be bad, because they don't consider February LSATs for the current admissions cycle. So you'd be applying to those schools with your 168, which isn't an impossible admission, but it's unlikely.

If you defer, you're committing to attend the school where you defer (unless you mean withdrawing and applying again with your new score next cycle).

If you got a 178 on a cold diagnostic, having a few weeks to study should be plenty of time to target your weak points on your previous test and improve on those areas.

That said, stop treating law school admissions like the goal. It's stupid and pervasive throughout 0L culture. Retake because you can improve, apply to all of the T13, and figure out what your best option is professionally and financially. That might be Yale, or it might be Michigan. Getting into a top school is a great accomplishment, but that's the beginning of your career, not the end.

cavalier1138

Re: Retake in December or February?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 am

roxelana18 wrote:While I didn't apply to a single school that I would not be honored to attend, I have been eyeing the programs at schools like Columbia and Harvard - even Yale - for some time, and who among us wouldn't love to be accepted?
You've already been given good practical advice about retaking, but I want to reiterate this specific point. Why are you eyeing these programs? What do you want to do with your degree?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”