Old Fart Support Group please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wmbuff

Bronze

Re: Old Fart Support Group please

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 am

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
wmbuff wrote:I'm not really sure there's a non-traditional student delay. With Wash U, I was admitted the same day as urmlaw17, who was also a super splitter, and applied the day after me. With ASU and my state school, I got in within the week after applying on a Monday.
I 110% want you to be right. I still think I'm seeing it at certain schools, but of course will never be able to substantiate the hunch.
Ask Spivey?
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am

I don't think there's a non-trad student delay, although there can definitely be a splitter delay, so if those things are combined it may look like it. It's more there's no guarantee for a quick response for anyone and you can't predict when you're going to hear. (Speaking as an old fart when I applied/went to law school; I like to lurk these threads. Good luck to my fellow old farts!)

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am

NavyNuke wrote:Hey everyone! Transitioning out of the military in the spring after 9+ yrs. I have 3 kids, and I will be 30 next fall when we start. May I join the club? :D
Howdy! Transitioning out of the Army after 11 years. I have a wife and 2 boys. 31 years old when we start in the fall.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think there's a non-trad student delay, although there can definitely be a splitter delay, so if those things are combined it may look like it. It's more there's no guarantee for a quick response for anyone and you can't predict when you're going to hear. (Speaking as an old fart when I applied/went to law school; I like to lurk these threads. Good luck to my fellow old farts!)
OK guys, I'm buying in. I will be more patient.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm

As even my numbers are competitive at my schools, and given that I am URM in addition, I am trying to believe that the radio silence is a result of them debating on what my initial scholarship offer should be. I had a beer and a lengthy conversation with the dean of the school I later interviewed with, I would hope this would have some *positive* impact.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:30 pm

I know the twentysomethings on the rest of the site would just laugh, so I thought I'd post over here that I just got my first acceptance. It's a local, part time program that is intended to be the backup if the full time plans don't work out for whatever reason, but it's still the first news I've had this cycle and I'm glad I can now say "I'm going to law school in the fall".

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Piggy11 wrote:I know the twentysomethings on the rest of the site would just laugh, so I thought I'd post over here that I just got my first acceptance. It's a local, part time program that is intended to be the backup if the full time plans don't work out for whatever reason, but it's still the first news I've had this cycle and I'm glad I can now say "I'm going to law school in the fall".
Congratulations!
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Piggy11 wrote:I know the twentysomethings on the rest of the site would just laugh, so I thought I'd post over here that I just got my first acceptance. It's a local, part time program that is intended to be the backup if the full time plans don't work out for whatever reason, but it's still the first news I've had this cycle and I'm glad I can now say "I'm going to law school in the fall".
YAY! Congrats!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:16 pm

An amazing feeling - well done!! Enjoy that feeling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Thanks guys! I like this thread, it feels like home.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Took kiddo to a FREE zoo day this weekend. Watched the Rhea open their holiday presents (eat wrapping paper) and didn't think about my desperate need for acceptance all weekend. Until just now.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:29 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Took kiddo to a FREE zoo day this weekend. Watched the Rhea open their holiday presents (eat wrapping paper) and didn't think about my desperate need for acceptance all weekend. Until just now.
Sounds like a great weekend. I crunched numbers on the household budget, and after a fee waiver came in on Thursday, I sent a trio of applications to a few more reach schools that gave me fee waivers. I also interviewed for Texas, which I enjoyed (after dreading a video interview request, since the software failed on my wife's laptop, the only computer I had access to, for my Northwestern application). I'm optimistic there will be some news this week on some of my applications.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackdragonhorses

New

Post by blackdragonhorses » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:50 pm

New here - mostly a lurker - but after reading this thread - I agree - feels more like home. I am 43. Ive been a paralegal for more years than I care to count. I also would be one of the ones running from poor grades from my early twenties that have brought that GPA DOWN. It gets rough to see waves of young folk with near perfect GPA's and stellar LSAT scores getting admittance after admittance while I continue to lurk in "no notice" land. I have gotten into one program so far but the rest of the applications have had radio silence.

Glad to have found the older and wiser crowd on here. :-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:18 pm

So what kind of softs we all rockin'? Day jobs and the like?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:So what kind of softs we all rockin'? Day jobs and the like?
I'm pretty sure with my numbers I can't hide, so I'll be pretty open here. I've been steadily employed in boring office jobs (insurance, DMV), but have done pretty intensive volunteer work running literary science fiction conventions (including upper-level management on the World Science Fiction Convention a couple of times). I live off-grid in a platform tent my wife and I put up ourselves, which made for good personal statement material (and now I'm completely out to any adcoms reading this). It's really hard to gauge the strength of those as softs, but I reckon that they're pretty rare, particularly in combination.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

wmbuff wrote:
DorkothyParker wrote:So what kind of softs we all rockin'? Day jobs and the like?
I'm pretty sure with my numbers I can't hide, so I'll be pretty open here. I've been steadily employed in boring office jobs (insurance, DMV), but have done pretty intensive volunteer work running literary science fiction conventions (including upper-level management on the World Science Fiction Convention a couple of times). I live off-grid in a platform tent my wife and I put up ourselves, which made for good personal statement material (and now I'm completely out to any adcoms reading this). It's really hard to gauge the strength of those as softs, but I reckon that they're pretty rare, particularly in combination.
Whoa, that's awesome! I am a huge sci fi fan. I like to consider myself a bit of a Dick expert, actually.
So how does off-grid work with internet and all that? Are you going to be in-grid post school? Very cool stuff, there.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
Whoa, that's awesome! I am a huge sci fi fan. I like to consider myself a bit of a Dick expert, actually.
So how does off-grid work with internet and all that? Are you going to be in-grid post school? Very cool stuff, there.
I mostly do internet on my phone, or take a laptop in to McDonald's for the free WiFi (and am currently hitting the forums at work). As for post-school, that's up in the air. It depends where we land and what the local regulatory environment looks like, but I'd want bigger living quarters than I'm in now.

Dick's pretty good stuff, and his short fiction has made a ton of great films. Have you ever read any Cordwainer Smith?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

wmbuff wrote:
I think this is "highly exceptional" softs material here. Very cool - I had no idea.

I still don't know what softs are, by the way. I know I got the definitions. Still. Clueless.

I'm a research manager at a large firm. So basically work with lawyers doing 1st year associate-ish work all day. But am not a lawyer. Have felt the desire to go to law school for quite a while but finally realized I needed to SOGOTP. Partly because of age, partly because it is a sad feeling to spend your career being less happy/proud than you should be. And as the associates in my office say, "if you're really jealous of me, that's sick. But if you really REALLY are, then you should go." They've been great coaches through the process.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm

wmbuff wrote:
DorkothyParker wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
I mostly do internet on my phone, or take a laptop in to McDonald's for the free WiFi (and am currently hitting the forums at work). As for post-school, that's up in the air. It depends where we land and what the local regulatory environment looks like, but I'd want bigger living quarters than I'm in now.

Dick's pretty good stuff, and his short fiction has made a ton of great films. Have you ever read any Cordwainer Smith?
I haven't. I don't typically go that far back (other than the classic dystopian lit type stuff). I may need to check it out. I have been sooo lazy about reading lately. I think I've started and stopped book 1 of The Familiar by Mark Danielewski like 3 times. Although I have assigned reading for my job. LOL

Speaking of, I am a Customer Service Manager (think assistant manager) at a bank. That's a lame soft. But I did teach kindergarten and early elementary English in S. Korea for two years after undergrad. I also have volunteered as a Guardian ad Litem for a while. I have a certificate in conflict management; I do some very light mediation work at the county courthouse pro se divorce clinic a few times a month. I also volunteer as a legal observer through the National Lawyer's Guild sporadically. We are rarely requested and it's all very (thankfully) tame here. My personal statement mentioned a lot of this, but used a recent marathon I ran to illustrate my tenacity.

I'm *old*, scrappy, and hungry.

PS. They say you can't outrun a bad diet, but can you outrun a bad undergrad GPA?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 am

Well, the first waitlist came today, and if myLSN.info is to be believed, it represents something of a change in strategy with regard to splitters. Given Spivey's news yesterday, I'm not entirely surprised, but still a touch disappointed. Still, I'm in at three other schools already, so it's not a terrible blow.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Your background sounds extremely interesting. I'm in awe of people have the courage to build a life outside the conventional norms and make it work.
Actually, a lot of the backgrounds in this thread sound very interesting (looking at you Dorkothy).
I'm a vanilla type, house in the suburbs, husband and kids, more than a decade at the same job (which I loved for the most part). Took me two years of planning just to decide to leave my old job and pursue a career in law. I'm a patent agent at a large law firm now and wish I had done it a little bit sooner. But us old turtles have to be careful so we don't throw our backs with sudden moves :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Ah, another acceptance with $$. The goal of a 5-figure COA at a top-40 is within sight! (The goal of choosing between that and a T14, not yet.)
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 am

wmbuff wrote:Ah, another acceptance with $$. The goal of a 5-figure COA at a top-40 is within sight! (The goal of choosing between that and a T14, not yet.)
Congrats!!!

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:38 pm

wmbuff wrote:Ah, another acceptance with $$. The goal of a 5-figure COA at a top-40 is within sight! (The goal of choosing between that and a T14, not yet.)
Excellent!

I'm still waiting for my other 2 applications. I had a phone interview with one last Monday and she said typically 4 weeks from then. Her tone during the end of the interview was extremely positive, almost like she was selling me on the school rather than the other way around. We'll see. The other one states they start sending decisions in December but looking at LSN it doesn't look like anyone has gotten one from them yet this cycle. (Wow, that's a horrible sentence but I'm too tired to re-construct.) Then I'll start scholarship negotiation as I have since been informed that my original email was incorrect and listed the amount for a full-time student.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:56 pm

coskigirl wrote:
Excellent!

I'm still waiting for my other 2 applications. I had a phone interview with one last Monday and she said typically 4 weeks from then. Her tone during the end of the interview was extremely positive, almost like she was selling me on the school rather than the other way around. We'll see. The other one states they start sending decisions in December but looking at LSN it doesn't look like anyone has gotten one from them yet this cycle. (Wow, that's a horrible sentence but I'm too tired to re-construct.) Then I'll start scholarship negotiation as I have since been informed that my original email was incorrect and listed the amount for a full-time student.
Congratulations! And good to know more good news sounds like it's coming.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”