Old Fart Support Group please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Experiment626

Silver

Re: Old Fart Support Group please

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Honestly thinking about retaking the LSAT and reapplying next cycle - although the only thing that concerns me is I'll be 35 when reapplying and hypothetically graduating at 38.... Cycle is not complete, but just a general trend I'm seeing.... Status updated in my profile.
I don't see any issues with finishing at that age. I'll be 39 when I graduate from a PT program. 40 if I decide it's really in my best interest to delay a cycle since I'm retaking in Feb. Right now I'm not sure about delaying with all the changes they're trying to make to student loans and PLF. Getting in this cycle might allow me to be grandfathered under the old structure which is a major factor to consider on my end.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 am

Experiment626 wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Honestly thinking about retaking the LSAT and reapplying next cycle - although the only thing that concerns me is I'll be 35 when reapplying and hypothetically graduating at 38.... Cycle is not complete, but just a general trend I'm seeing.... Status updated in my profile.
I don't see any issues with finishing at that age. I'll be 39 when I graduate from a PT program. 40 if I decide it's really in my best interest to delay a cycle since I'm retaking in Feb. Right now I'm not sure about delaying with all the changes they're trying to make to student loans and PLF. Getting in this cycle might allow me to be grandfathered under the old structure which is a major factor to consider on my end.
+1 - will start at 37 and graduate at 40. My cycle is going totally fine. If you think you could give the LSAT another shot and get some additional or more targeted studying done, I say it's always a good idea.

Gator19

New

Post by Gator19 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:17 am

Experiment626 wrote:
This is the first time I hear of this. Could you elaborate on these changes or link to this info. Thanks!

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Gator19 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
This is the first time I hear of this. Could you elaborate on these changes or link to this info. Thanks!
1. Eliminating PLF in general for people that get loans after June of 2018. I don't know if they'll get it done for that effective date but I'm sure they'll still push for it. If they don't, then there's a chance to be grandfathered.

2. You should already be aware that they're trying to make changes and impose limits on how much you can borrow through public loans which will increase the amount you have to borrow through private loans. Again, if they pull this off they'll have to grandfather people in school that already have public loans. Some of these changes proposed include different loan types that would not be eligible for PLF, another way of eliminating PLF.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Gator19 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
1. Eliminating PLF in general for people that get loans after June of 2018. I don't know if they'll get it done for that effective date but I'm sure they'll still push for it. If they don't, then there's a chance to be grandfathered.

2. You should already be aware that they're trying to make changes and impose limits on how much you can borrow through public loans which will increase the amount you have to borrow through private loans. Again, if they pull this off they'll have to grandfather people in school that already have public loans. Some of these changes proposed include different loan types that would not be eligible for PLF, another way of eliminating PLF.
That really doesn't apply to me as a soon to be veteran - I have the GI Bill with YR benefits (100%) so I'm not as worried about tuition costs at most schools...

It's definitely a humbling thought at this point to possibly reapply, but TLS is likely right - the LSAT is strong, strong factor towards admission - with a 156 LSAT, I improved by 10pts over a two test period, and think I can probably score low to mid 160s with another attempt - which might put me more over the hump....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coskigirl

Bronze

Post by coskigirl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:24 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Gator19 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

That really doesn't apply to me as a soon to be veteran - I have the GI Bill with YR benefits (100%) so I'm not as worried about tuition costs at most schools...

It's definitely a humbling thought at this point to possibly reapply, but TLS is likely right - the LSAT is strong, strong factor towards admission - with a 156 LSAT, I improved by 10pts over a two test period, and think I can probably score low to mid 160s with another attempt - which might put me more over the hump....
I will start at 41 and graduate within a week of my 45th birthday. I'll still have 20+ years of career in front of me and given the scholarship and tuition assistance from my company and expected salary jump upon graduation I will likely pay for my out-of-pocket within a year or 2 of graduation so the ROI makes a lot of sense for me.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:18 pm

coskigirl wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:
Gator19 wrote:
Experiment626 wrote:

I will start at 41 and graduate within a week of my 45th birthday. I'll still have 20+ years of career in front of me and given the scholarship and tuition assistance from my company and expected salary jump upon graduation I will likely pay for my out-of-pocket within a year or 2 of graduation so the ROI makes a lot of sense for me.
This is pretty reassuring.... I have a few good WLs and awaiting other solid schools before really deciding - I do think I'll retake the LSAT almost regardless in June to help with the current WLs I'm on and keep my options more open. I'd rather not use my GI Bill on a lower ranked school just b/c I can when I can take the LSAT a few more times (ugh), improve my score, and attend a higher ranked school - will probably let this play out, but not make a desperate, rash decision.

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 am

I went to visit a class at USC, and I met someone who was even older than me (by a couple of years). We both agreed that 50 is the new 40!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Woohoo! First negotiation letter yielded another 10k/year scholarship. Puts me at 85% covered cost of tuition.
Once I get that letter, I'll scan it and the original off to the next school on my list. This feels really good.

Neither school are known for full schollys, so this is a good place for me to be in, nonetheless.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

am88282911am88282911

New

Post by am88282911am88282911 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:27 pm

This thread is so refreshing. I am in my late 30's, have a Masters degree, just started a six-figure job, and gave been thinking of obtaining my law degree but there is nothing more amazing than to come home from work, turn on Netflix, eat dinner, and sleep by 10pm! But there is this part of me that finds satisfaction in human rights; the legality process of finding justice for those who are in need. I have found great satisfaction in reading depositions, autopsy reports, and I can't tell you the amount of times that I have viewed the OJ story (starring Cuba Gooding Jr.) and all for the legality aspect. I recently went to CUNY School of Law's (in Queens, NY) open house and loved the school. I am just worried about a few things- maybe you all can help me;
1. My age
2. Already in student loan debt from my masters
3. I love my sleep!
4. I can't afford to pay out of pocket for a law degree
5. LSAT prep!!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:01 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Woohoo! First negotiation letter yielded another 10k/year scholarship. Puts me at 85% covered cost of tuition.
Once I get that letter, I'll scan it and the original off to the next school on my list. This feels really good.

Neither school are known for full schollys, so this is a good place for me to be in, nonetheless.
Congratulations!

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:04 pm

am88282911am88282911 wrote:This thread is so refreshing. I am in my late 30's, have a Masters degree, just started a six-figure job, and gave been thinking of obtaining my law degree but there is nothing more amazing than to come home from work, turn on Netflix, eat dinner, and sleep by 10pm! But there is this part of me that finds satisfaction in human rights; the legality process of finding justice for those who are in need. I have found great satisfaction in reading depositions, autopsy reports, and I can't tell you the amount of times that I have viewed the OJ story (starring Cuba Gooding Jr.) and all for the legality aspect. I recently went to CUNY School of Law's (in Queens, NY) open house and loved the school. I am just worried about a few things- maybe you all can help me;
1. My age
3. I love my sleep!
5. LSAT prep!!

I went through a similar thought process and chose to go to law school, but it was a big decision and I don’t think it would be the right one for everyone. PM me if you want to hear more about my thought process in detail.

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 pm

am88282911am88282911 wrote:This thread is so refreshing. I am in my late 30's, have a Masters degree, just started a six-figure job, and gave been thinking of obtaining my law degree but there is nothing more amazing than to come home from work, turn on Netflix, eat dinner, and sleep by 10pm! But there is this part of me that finds satisfaction in human rights; the legality process of finding justice for those who are in need. I have found great satisfaction in reading depositions, autopsy reports, and I can't tell you the amount of times that I have viewed the OJ story (starring Cuba Gooding Jr.) and all for the legality aspect. I recently went to CUNY School of Law's (in Queens, NY) open house and loved the school. I am just worried about a few things- maybe you all can help me;
1. My age
3. I love my sleep!
5. LSAT prep!!

My two cents:

1 and 2. Your age--not a factor, just go for it--although if you already have debt, I wouldn't take on any more. Try going part time--Fordham has an excellent part-time program, and there are many others in NYC.
3. No answer there. You just have to decide what's more important to you. Netflix/sleep vs. law degree. I definitely wouldn't do it if the decision is in any way difficult. I think you really have to want to do it.
4. and 5. Study like crazy and practice for LSAT, and maybe you'll get some scholarship money. Side-benefit: Intensive prep for the LSAT is a great way to see if you like studying at night. I'm speaking from experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:56 pm

laotaipo wrote:
1. My age
3. I love my sleep!
5. LSAT prep!!

My two cents:

1 and 2. Your age--not a factor, just go for it--although if you already have debt, I wouldn't take on any more. Try going part time--Fordham has an excellent part-time program, and there are many others in NYC.
3. No answer there. You just have to decide what's more important to you. Netflix/sleep vs. law degree. I definitely wouldn't do it if the decision is in any way difficult. I think you really have to want to do it.
4. and 5. Study like crazy and practice for LSAT, and maybe you'll get some scholarship money. Side-benefit: Intensive prep for the LSAT is a great way to see if you like studying at night. I'm speaking from experience.
At night, on lunch breaks, over breakfast....
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deltagirl1913

New

Post by Deltagirl1913 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Older but seriously cool chic checking In! Active Duty, African American, Army Lieutenant Colonel, due to retire this summer after 22 years of service. Horrible undergrad grades (too much partying and sorority life), but two Masters degrees with 4.0 GPAs. Four full deployments to Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq. Mediocre LSAT but I have GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon and retirement pay so I don't need scholly money. My softs are amazing and my letters of recommendations legendary, I am what bloggers would call a Unicorn. I've been admitted to a handful of tier four schools but my first choice is Syracuse, Go Orange or Go Home!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 am

Delta,

I say your earlier posting in the Veterans thread and intended to reply welcoming you to the board. Congrats on going the distance, I suspect that you will have a great cycle and some interesting options ahead of you.

Deltagirl1913

New

Post by Deltagirl1913 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:45 am

haus wrote:Delta,

I say your earlier posting in the Veterans thread and intended to reply welcoming you to the board. Congrats on going the distance, I suspect that you will have a great cycle and some interesting options ahead of you.
Thank you! Fingers Crossed. If theres one thing that the Army has taught me, its rejection. :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BohsandOs

New

Post by BohsandOs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi everyone; this is my first post and I'm glad I found this thread. I'm 30 (not "old" but above the median age at most schools) and am considering switching careers. I wanted to post a little bit about myself and get your feedback about possible admission and making the switch. I did a term in the Army after graduating college and always knew that I was interested in law. When it came time to get out of the Army I weighed my career options and decided to go to a full-time business school instead due to better employment prospects. Since graduation I have been working in finance for a year...and I hate every second of it. Below are some of my thoughts/concerns:

1. I am at a crossroads where I can either accept a career that I don't enjoy or take a huge risk to pursue a career that I think (but don't know) I would find more fulfilling. Has anybody else wrestled with this dilemma?
2. Due to my current work schedule of 60+ hour weeks, doing a part-time program to "sample" law isn't really an option.
3. One of my biggest concerns (other than cost obviously) is that admissions committees might view me as a "grass is always greener" type because this would be my second major career switch.
4. I likely would not be competitive at an elite university but feel I could be in the T40-60 range. For reference I went to a T30 business school. After working in finance I don't really care about making a lot of money and am instead interested in pursuing civil rights or military law. Would a school in the 40-60 range be ok for this goal?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

BohsandOs wrote:Hi everyone; this is my first post and I'm glad I found this thread. I'm 30 (not "old" but above the median age at most schools) and am considering switching careers. I wanted to post a little bit about myself and get your feedback about possible admission and making the switch. I did a term in the Army after graduating college and always knew that I was interested in law. When it came time to get out of the Army I weighed my career options and decided to go to a full-time business school instead due to better employment prospects. Since graduation I have been working in finance for a year...and I hate every second of it. Below are some of my thoughts/concerns:

1. I am at a crossroads where I can either accept a career that I don't enjoy or take a huge risk to pursue a career that I think (but don't know) I would find more fulfilling. Has anybody else wrestled with this dilemma?
2. Due to my current work schedule of 60+ hour weeks, doing a part-time program to "sample" law isn't really an option.
3. One of my biggest concerns (other than cost obviously) is that admissions committees might view me as a "grass is always greener" type because this would be my second major career switch.
4. I likely would not be competitive at an elite university but feel I could be in the T40-60 range. For reference I went to a T30 business school. After working in finance I don't really care about making a lot of money and am instead interested in pursuing civil rights or military law. Would a school in the 40-60 range be ok for this goal?

So, the one thing I would caution you about jumping into this if the only reason is you're unhappy about your job and are trying to find something you like, it doesn't appear that way since you've stated an interest in specific types of law but I wanted to make sure it's said. The one thing law schools hate is people that appear to be applying because they don't know what else to do with their life, be it KJD or older. What is it that's drawing you to law school and a legal career? Is there something that you can directly point to that peaked your interest?

When I met with a few admissions people, they loved that I stated I had started applying to law school when I was going to graduate but wasn't sure and then took over a decade to decide that this was the right choice for me because of my career progression and how it tied to a law degree.

As to your interest in civil rights or military law, I can't speak to the latter. But for the former, what do think you want to do in civil rights law? without knowing that, it'll be hard to say what you can and cannot do.

Also, why do you think you wouldn't be competitive past the T40-60 range? Undergrad grades? Uncertainty about LSAT performance?

NeverOrNow

New

Post by NeverOrNow » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm glad I found this thread!

I'm 37. I've been a stay at home parent for the better part of 10 years. I've kept busy with significant volunteer work in the area I want to eventually practice though. I got my first acceptance and scholarship offer this week (submitted apps last week). I'm excited. It's starting to feel a bit more real. The idea of moving my family to another state is a little bit daunting though. It might be very worth it though. I'm hopeful about hearing from other schools I applied to.

cole558

New

Post by cole558 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am

First post here. I am 34. More than any other group, I feel that this group will be able to offer solid advice given our "age." I have always wanted to be an attorney. Every career assessment/self-reflection exercise confirms it. I was a Political Science major and had every intent on becoming a lawyer. Right after undergrad, I worked for 3 years at a criminal law firm as a paralegal/law clerk while I attended law school. I loved the work! Unfortunately, I spent too much time on work cases and other personal undertakings that I disregarded class. I ended up failing to attend class altogether and was academically dismissed.

Since then, I have had 10 years of exemplary work experience in public sector, contributing to a solid retirement pension. My current salary is 75k and I benefit from PLSF (loans mostly from failed LS attempt :( I have also completed an MBA program at a T-20 school and been offered a job at a major bank. [MBA was fully paid for by scholarship 110k based on GMAT ]. I could continue in this career but law continues to call. Additional comments: I have a mortgage, excellent credit (FICO scores in 800s), a spouse, and no children. Our combined salary is over 120k. We live in TX so cost of living is good.

My undergrad GPA is solid (3.7) and so is my MBA GPA (3.6). I have not taken LSAT. Of course, biggest hurdle will be my academic dismissal. Based on these facts, should I try to give it a shot or just let it go?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Deltagirl1913

New

Post by Deltagirl1913 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm

I got in at Syracuse and couldnt be more excited! :mrgreen:

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:21 am

Deltagirl1913 wrote:

Way to go, Delta!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
Deltagirl1913 wrote:

Way to go, Delta!
Indeed, congrats Delta!

laotaipo

New

Post by laotaipo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:40 pm

cole558 wrote:First post here. I am 34. More than any other group, I feel that this group will be able to offer solid advice given our "age." I have always wanted to be an attorney. Every career assessment/self-reflection exercise confirms it. I was a Political Science major and had every intent on becoming a lawyer. Right after undergrad, I worked for 3 years at a criminal law firm as a paralegal/law clerk while I attended law school. I loved the work! Unfortunately, I spent too much time on work cases and other personal undertakings that I disregarded class. I ended up failing to attend class altogether and was academically dismissed.

Since then, I have had 10 years of exemplary work experience in public sector, contributing to a solid retirement pension. My current salary is 75k and I benefit from PLSF (loans mostly from failed LS attempt :( I have also completed an MBA program at a T-20 school and been offered a job at a major bank. [MBA was fully paid for by scholarship 110k based on GMAT ]. I could continue in this career but law continues to call. Additional comments: I have a mortgage, excellent credit (FICO scores in 800s), a spouse, and no children. Our combined salary is over 120k. We live in TX so cost of living is good.

My undergrad GPA is solid (3.7) and so is my MBA GPA (3.6). I have not taken LSAT. Of course, biggest hurdle will be my academic dismissal. Based on these facts, should I try to give it a shot or just let it go?
HI Cole, if law is what you really want to do, you should try for it. Just work on explaining why things are much different than the previous time with the academic dismissal...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”