Emails from Reach Schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sed294

New

Emails from Reach Schools

Post by sed294 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm not a viable applicant for a T14 school - 3.5 GPA, 165 LSAT - but I'm receiving emails from top schools. I just received an email from Harvard Women's Law Association, which asked me to "introduce" myself using a link provided in the email. Is this just to increase the number of applicants?

Thanks!

Dybbuk

New

Re: Emails from Reach Schools

Post by Dybbuk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Ha, I just made basically this exact same thread a little while ago. I was wondering what others thought, but I suspect they're just trying to get a bigger pool of minority candidates to choose from. I don't think I will get in, but I'm considering applying. It's only $35, and I suspect they're not sending these emails out to minority applicants with 155s.

oldneller123

New

Post by oldneller123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Dybbuk wrote:Ha, I just made basically this exact same thread a little while ago. I was wondering what others thought, but I suspect they're just trying to get a bigger pool of minority candidates to choose from. I don't think I will get in, but I'm considering applying. It's only $35, and I suspect they're not sending these emails out to minority applicants with 155s.
I got a similar e-mail a while back lol and I'm not anywhere close to HLS's median GPA. Out of curiosity - did they send you a fee waiver as well? I'd apply for $35 but wouldn't spend >$100 just to boost their application pool

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

This is why: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... ethodology
US News wrote:• Acceptance rate (0.025): This is the combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. programs who were accepted for the 2016 entering class.
It's a tiny factor, but one of the few schools can control. More applicants makes your school more exclusive and gives you a boost in the US News rankings. Honestly, library square footage would be more useful, but that's not what US News picked.

If you're going to play their game, at least make sure you reach out and get a fee waiver first!

idilbeshir

New

Post by idilbeshir » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Dybbuk wrote:Ha, I just made basically this exact same thread a little while ago. I was wondering what others thought, but I suspect they're just trying to get a bigger pool of minority candidates to choose from. I don't think I will get in, but I'm considering applying. It's only $35, and I suspect they're not sending these emails out to minority applicants with 155s.

No they are lol. I have a 151 and will be re-writing in December and I got the email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 am

Ugh, I got an email from Columbia with a fee waiver a few weeks ago. I'll keep my $35, thank you much!

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am

albanach wrote:This is why: https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... ethodology
US News wrote:• Acceptance rate (0.025): This is the combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. programs who were accepted for the 2016 entering class.
It's a tiny factor, but one of the few schools can control. More applicants makes your school more exclusive and gives you a boost in the US News rankings. Honestly, library square footage would be more useful, but that's not what US News picked.

If you're going to play their game, at least make sure you reach out and get a fee waiver first!
Also worth noting that "introducing yourself" by giving them your info is basically lead gen for them.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah, I got the e-mail from Harvard asking me to "introduce myself" the other day. 166/3.4 ... thanks, no thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”