Unsolicited Emails from reach schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dybbuk

New

Unsolicited Emails from reach schools

Post by Dybbuk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm

I am curious how much stock to put into emails from T14 schools. I am used to my email being filled with TTT schools that I would never apply to, but today I got an unexpected email from Harvard of all places. They suggested I get in touch and look into applying, and especially focused on my being gay. Previously, I wasn't even going to throw a hope and prayer app their way, because my LSAT is only in the upper 160s with a 3.32 GPA. Now I'm wondering if I should just do one and see. Does the email signify anything at all? Are are they just sending out emails to any queer person even close to their percentiles, to enrich their applicant pool? I mean towards the latter, but the delusion inside me hopes it's the former.

icechicken

Bronze

Re: Unsolicited Emails from reach schools

Post by icechicken » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Sadly, these emails don't really mean anything. Everyone, from Harvard to Cooley, wants more applicants for a variety of reasons. So they market themselves widely by sending robo-emails to massive demographic tranches.

Frankly, you're extremely unlikely to get admitted to Harvard with those numbers.

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm

I received a similar email in regards to veterans. Given my stats (above their 75th for gpa, below 25th for lsat), I took it as a trolling attempt to bolster their reject pile this year.

Dybbuk

New

Post by Dybbuk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I figured they just want to bolster their minority application pool, rather than it being a serious reflection on my chances. But still, I figure there's at least a floor in regards to who they send these out to. I already have my safety schools out of the way, and I'm retaking in December, so I still might send out an application or two to some top 14 schools to see what happens.

jpal21

New

Post by jpal21 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 pm

I have to agree with the previous posters. I also got an email from them yesterday encouraging me to apply with emphasis on being a URM applicant even though my LSAT is much below their standards (even for a URM).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”