[Request for Help] Criminal Conviction Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SallysMarbles

New

[Request for Help] Criminal Conviction Addendum

Post by SallysMarbles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

I've cleaned this up a bit, in order to keep it to the facts only. I've seen various suggestions as to how much I should claim to have cleaned up my act. Some say that this should highlighted, others say keep the word count and discussion about past transgressions to a minimum. What are some thoughts on this? I received a lot of counseling and continued to break the law until successfully completing drug court, since which I haven't had any issues. That was 6 years ago. I also intend to contact state bars to see whether this record would keep me out. I suspect in most cases, it won't. Is that something I should state on the addendum?

On July 10, 2008, in Twin Falls, Idaho, I was arrested and charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of a controlled substance and driving a vehicle without owner's consent, I plead guilty to the possession of a controlled substance, received a withheld judgement, and the the driving vehicle without owner’s consent and drug paraphernalia charges were both dismissed. I was sentenced to 4 months’ probation and 90 days of jail, 89 of which were suspended.

On August 24,2008, in Logan, Utah, I was arrested and charged with possession of alcohol by a minor. I plead guilty to this charge and was fined 402.00 and sentenced to 12 months of probation and a suspended jail sentence of 30 days.

On August 30, 2008, in Logan, Utah, I was arrested and charged with possession of Marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of alcohol by a minor. I plead guilty to the possession of Marijuana charge and the possession of alcohol by a minor. The possession of drug paraphernalia charge was dismissed. I was fined 555.00 and sentenced to 180 days in jail, which was suspended contingent upon my having completed counseling.

On September 6, 2008, in Logan, Utah, I was arrested and charged with minor in possession of alcohol, intoxication and interference with arresting officer. (EXPLAIN) I plead guilty to unlawful possession of alcohol by a minor. The interference with an arresting officer and intoxication charges were both dismissed. I was sentenced to 30 days in jail, which was suspended, contingent upon my completing alcohol and drug counseling.

On September 21, 2008, in Logan, Utah, I was arrested and charged with minor in possession of alcohol and intoxication. Both charges were dismissed on the condition that I voluntarily withdrew from college and completed inpatient treatment for alcohol abuse.

On November 16, 2008, in Sandy, Utah, I was arrested and charged with 2 counts of theft. I plead guilty to both, was fined 700.00 and sentenced to 12 months of probation and a 180 day jail sentence, to be served concurrently with my previously suspended sentences for possession of alcohol and possession of Marijuana.

On April 15, 2010, in Logan, Utah, I was arrested and charged with simple assault. I plead guilty, was fined 533.00, and sentenced to 180 days in jail, 170 of which were suspended, and 180 days of probation.

On March 24, 2011, in Logan, Utah, I was arrested and charged with the two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, four counts of possession of a controlled substance, two counts of producing a controlled substance, and one count of possession with intent to distribute. I entered a plea in abeyance on the condition that I completed drug court, and after completing drug court successfully, all charges were dismissed with prejudice. I haven’t violated the law since.

I recognize the infractions on my record indicate problems with obeying the law, and I take full responsibility for my actions. The counseling and treatment I have received have taught me how to avoid situations where physical confrontation is a possibility, how to control my impulses, and how to live a clean and sober life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”