guess my plan to take the GRE multiple times backfired spectaculary Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
physicsmaestro

New

guess my plan to take the GRE multiple times backfired spectaculary

Post by physicsmaestro » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 am

I'm currently in graduate school doing a phd in math. When I heard law schools are beginning to accept GRE scores in lieu of LSAT scores, i was like yes!!! My original plan was to just take the GRE as many times as I need to till i get that glorious 170 on both sections. So.. i went on and took the GRE twice without much prep. Little did i know.. some schools such as Harvard explicitly state that you must send all your GRE scores. Well.. my very first GRE score will expire soon because i took it before i began my PhD program. So.. I have the recent two GRE scores I will have to report.
They are as follows: 165 verbal 169 quant 5 on essay and 168 verbal 170 quant 6 on essay. It seems GRE gets a lot of hate from conventional law school applicants and I sort of see why... Anyhow, ETS does not have any indication on the test report sent to school whether or not the applicant took the test multiple times. So.. my question is "how will law schools enforce their policy of requiring applicants' entire GRE test taking history?

cavalier1138

Re: guess my plan to take the GRE multiple times backfired spectaculary

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

No one knows. This is the first year the GRE is being accepted.

You should be much more concerned about selling the adcomms on your desire to go to law school immediately after getting a doctorate in Math.

ETA: I mean that no one knows how they'll treat multiple scores. Everyone knows how they'll treat people who try to hide multiple takes.

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am

physicsmaestro wrote:I'm currently in graduate school doing a phd in math. When I heard law schools are beginning to accept GRE scores in lieu of LSAT scores, i was like yes!!! My original plan was to just take the GRE as many times as I need to till i get that glorious 170 on both sections. So.. i went on and took the GRE twice without much prep. Little did i know.. some schools such as Harvard explicitly state that you must send all your GRE scores. Well.. my very first GRE score will expire soon because i took it before i began my PhD program. So.. I have the recent two GRE scores I will have to report.
They are as follows: 165 verbal 169 quant 5 on essay and 168 verbal 170 quant 6 on essay. It seems GRE gets a lot of hate from conventional law school applicants and I sort of see why... Anyhow, ETS does not have any indication on the test report sent to school whether or not the applicant took the test multiple times. So.. my question is "how will law schools enforce their policy of requiring applicants' entire GRE test taking history?
Well if you're telling the truth about your Math PhD program and scores, then you've just outed yourself to adcomms who read these boards. So I'd submit both scores if you're required to.

CottonHarvest

Bronze

Post by CottonHarvest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 am

physicsmaestro wrote:I'm currently in graduate school doing a phd in math. When I heard law schools are beginning to accept GRE scores in lieu of LSAT scores, i was like yes!!! My original plan was to just take the GRE as many times as I need to till i get that glorious 170 on both sections. So.. i went on and took the GRE twice without much prep. Little did i know.. some schools such as Harvard explicitly state that you must send all your GRE scores. Well.. my very first GRE score will expire soon because i took it before i began my PhD program. So.. I have the recent two GRE scores I will have to report.
You have a 168(98%)/170(97%)/6(99%) on file. Your plan didn’t backfire. You’re fine.

physicsmaestro

New

Post by physicsmaestro » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm

lobsicle wrote:
Well if you're telling the truth about your Math PhD program and scores, then you've just outed yourself to adcomms who read these boards. So I'd submit both scores if you're required to.

I was gonna submit all my scores regardless. I know how schools have the right to rescind admissions offers on the basis of even the tiniest discrepancies. I was just curious how they would actually enforce this policy.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:41 pm

physicsmaestro wrote:
lobsicle wrote:

I was gonna submit all my scores regardless. I know how schools have the right to rescind admissions offers on the basis of even the tiniest discrepancies. I was just curious how they would actually enforce this policy.
Also curious about the enforcement of the Gre policy.

Did you end up reporting all your scores to harvard?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”