C&F Addenda - Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlanketStatement

New

C&F Addenda - Question

Post by BlanketStatement » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Most schools I am applying to ask two questions I am answering yes to:

[*]Have you ever been sanction by a university for academic/non-academic reason

[*]Have you ever been charged, arrested, convicted, etc.,

I was caught drinking and smoking in my dorm room, so there is only one incident that is prompting that I answer yes to both questions (res life violation, charged but not dismissed for possession).

Must I describe my transgressions in detail in both addenda, or can I refer to the one in the other addenda?

i.e -

C&F Q1: Incident happened which is described in C&F Q2, which resulted in a, b, c sanctions by residence hall.

C&F Q2: Here are all the details of what happened to me, which resulted in x, y, z by law.

Thanks

UVA2B

Gold

Re: C&F Addenda - Question

Post by UVA2B » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 pm

Submit a single C&F addendum explaining the one incident.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 pm

UVA2B wrote:Submit a single C&F addendum explaining the one incident.
Beat me to it. This the best approach.

BlanketStatement

New

Post by BlanketStatement » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am

Most law schools demand an addendum be written for every question answered "yes" to. I cannot write one for many (most?) law schools in the T14.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am

BlanketStatement wrote:Most law schools demand an addendum be written for every question answered "yes" to. I cannot write one for many (most?) law schools in the T14.
That's just not true.

Edit: to more completely address this. The requirement is that you explain every time you had to answer "yes" to a C&F question, so technically you need an explanation for each question. But let's keep this in perspective. An admissions officer is going to be reading your entire application, and as long as you address both questions in the same addendum, they will be appreciative of your conciseness. It gives them less they have to read.
Last edited by UVA2B on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlanketStatement

New

Post by BlanketStatement » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 am

You
UVA2B wrote:
BlanketStatement wrote:Most law schools demand an addendum be written for every question answered "yes" to. I cannot write one for many (most?) law schools in the T14.
That's just not true.
You may be right. The first three schools I am applying to (all ranked in the T14) all demand an addendum written for each question answered yes to, so it may be a non-representative sample of the T14 schools.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:12 am

So? Following UVA2B's approach, you would be providing an addendum for every question answered "yes" to.

BlanketStatement

New

Post by BlanketStatement » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 am

UVA2B wrote:
That's just not true.

Edit: to more completely address this. The requirement is that you explain every time you had to answer "yes" to a C&F question, so technically you need an explanation for each question. But let's keep this in perspective. An admissions officer is going to be reading your entire application, and as long as you address both questions in the same addendum, they will be appreciative of your conciseness. It gives them less they have to read.
Thank you for your edited and more complete reply.

"In the interest of being concise, I will list the sanctions here and describe the situation which lead to my receiving them in Q2 addendum

- Sanction A

- Sanction B"

BlanketStatement

New

Post by BlanketStatement » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 am

rpupkin wrote:
So? Following UVA2B's approach, you would be providing an addendum for every question answered "yes" to.
Yes, thank you. I saw his or her edit after I had posted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 am

I feel like there is a disconnect on the purpose of C&F disclosures here, which is fine. You're answering these questions because law schools are establishing a baseline for your eventual admission to a state bar. So they ask these questions in order for you to disclose incidents your eventual state bar might find in your bar application. So, with that understanding, you should write your addendum to make sure you've covered the relevant facts. So long as you do that, a state bar won't bat an eye.

C&F is partially about making sure you can pass the bar one day, but it's also about helping you eventually pass the bar by giving you an opportunity to disclose your C&F skeletons. Try to think of it that way. Admissions are significantly less concerned about whether you're lacking character because you drank in a dorm room and smoked pot.

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:20 am

I think what OP is referring to is that for a select few schools, if you answer yes to (in this case) two C&F questions you cannot complete the application without attaching two addenda. If you only attach one it won't let you finish the app because each C&F question has its own corresponding addendum attachment.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 am

BlanketStatement wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
That's just not true.

"In the interest of being concise, I will list the sanctions here and describe the situation which lead to my receiving them in Q2 addendum

- Sanction A

- Sanction B"
Don't frame it like this. If you write a concise recitation of the facts along with the actions taken by the administration and how you've learned/grown from the incident, admissions will see how the addendum addresses both questions.

On [insert date], I violated [insert description of your transgressions]. Following [insert punishments], I had no further incidents. I regret my actions on that day, and I take full responsibility for my actions.*

*This in no way covers your specific incident, but should be a general shell for how you can/should frame your addendum, given the facts you've provided so far.
Last edited by UVA2B on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 am

somethingElse wrote:I think what OP is referring to is that for a select few schools, if you answer yes to (in this case) two C&F questions you cannot complete the application without attaching two addenda. If you only attach one it won't let you finish the app because each C&F question has its own corresponding addendum attachment.
This would be a change from years past, but I accept it's been awhile, so I could just be out of date. If you must address it in separate addenda, I would write one concise addendum, and include a second one that simply states "See addendum to Q1" or something like that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlanketStatement

New

Post by BlanketStatement » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 am

UVA2B wrote:
BlanketStatement wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
That's just not true.

- Sanction A

- Sanction B"
Don't frame it like this. If you write a concise recitation of the facts along with the actions taken by the administration and how you've learned/grown from the incident, admissions will see how the addendum addresses both questions.

On [insert date], I violated [insert description of your transgressions]. Following [insert punishments], I had no further incidents. I regret my actions on that day, and I take full responsibility for my actions.*

This in no way covers your specific incident, but should be a general shell for how you can/should frame your addendum, given the facts you've provided so far.
I know to do the above in one addendum. But two addenda are required -- and I want to know how to not talk about the same incident twice, tactfully.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 am

somethingElse wrote:I think what OP is referring to is that for a select few schools, if you answer yes to (in this case) two C&F questions you cannot complete the application without attaching two addenda. If you only attach one it won't let you finish the app because each C&F question has its own corresponding addendum attachment.
Oh, well that's annoying. If that is indeed the OP's situation, then I would still write one addendum; I'd just upload it twice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”