GRE Impact on GPA 50th/75th percentiles Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MikeRoss2568

New

GRE Impact on GPA 50th/75th percentiles

Post by MikeRoss2568 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Hey all,

With the introduction of the GRE into admissions by Harvard (and now Columbia and Georgetown), a lot have been speculating on how this will impact people with low GPAs and high LSATs, but I haven't seen much in the way about the 50th/75th percentile GPAs.

This is important -- currently, I will have a 3.90 GPA flat when I apply next year, and a 176 LSAT. Previously, this meant that I had an excellent chance at 11/14 of the T-14 to get in with some substantial $$$, a strong chance at H, and a good chance and YS.

My concern is that now, with the GRE, Harvard, and Columbia, and whoever else follows suit, can now admit applicants with higher GPAs, boosting their medians. Whereas Columbia's 75th percentile has been a 3.81 for years, and Harvard's has been a 3.94-3.96, with the introduction of the GRE and applicants with with higher GPAs, will Harvard's 75th percentile reach 4.00+ ranges? Will their 50th percentile rise from the mid 3.8 to a low 3.9? Will Columbia's 75th percentile rise to to a high 3.8?

All of these things would mean that getting in is not only harder for people who already were competitive on the GPA/LSAT aspect, but getting money/full rides is now much harder, because we are now seen as "average" as opposed to above average (and in some cases, maybe below average).

I am inclined to think this won't happen, since Columbia (and to a lesser extent Harvard) have had ample opportunity to raise their 50th/75th percentiles over the past few years, and they haven't. Maybe we will see a 1-2 points increase for 50th percentile GPAs, 1 point increase in 75th percentile gpas, and probably a 5-7 point increase in 25th percentile GPAas?

Something to think about,

Let me know what you guys think!

sodomojo

Bronze

Re: GRE Impact on GPA 50th/75th percentiles

Post by sodomojo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:55 pm

You have a 3.9/176 - just kick back and relax. Your worst scenario would still be a great outcome.
will Harvard's 75th percentile reach 4.00+ ranges? Will their 50th percentile rise from the mid 3.8 to a low 3.9? Will Columbia's 75th percentile rise to to a high 3.8?
No one knows the answer to any of these questions. Let's say medians rise marginally, what exactly do you propose doing? It's out of your hands at this point.

Chaimthegreat

New

Re: GRE Impact on GPA 50th/75th percentiles

Post by Chaimthegreat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:43 pm

MikeRoss2568 wrote:Hey all,

With the introduction of the GRE into admissions by Harvard (and now Columbia and Georgetown), a lot have been speculating on how this will impact people with low GPAs and high LSATs, but I haven't seen much in the way about the 50th/75th percentile GPAs.

This is important -- currently, I will have a 3.90 GPA flat when I apply next year, and a 176 LSAT. Previously, this meant that I had an excellent chance at 11/14 of the T-14 to get in with some substantial $$$, a strong chance at H, and a good chance and YS.

My concern is that now, with the GRE, Harvard, and Columbia, and whoever else follows suit, can now admit applicants with higher GPAs, boosting their medians. Whereas Columbia's 75th percentile has been a 3.81 for years, and Harvard's has been a 3.94-3.96, with the introduction of the GRE and applicants with with higher GPAs, will Harvard's 75th percentile reach 4.00+ ranges? Will their 50th percentile rise from the mid 3.8 to a low 3.9? Will Columbia's 75th percentile rise to to a high 3.8?

All of these things would mean that getting in is not only harder for people who already were competitive on the GPA/LSAT aspect, but getting money/full rides is now much harder, because we are now seen as "average" as opposed to above average (and in some cases, maybe below average).

I am inclined to think this won't happen, since Columbia (and to a lesser extent Harvard) have had ample opportunity to raise their 50th/75th percentiles over the past few years, and they haven't. Maybe we will see a 1-2 points increase for 50th percentile GPAs, 1 point increase in 75th percentile gpas, and probably a 5-7 point increase in 25th percentile GPAas?

Something to think about,

Let me know what you guys think!
You are fine- have a great cycle!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”