Addendum Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
msgorm11

New

Addendum Advice

Post by msgorm11 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:07 pm

-
Last edited by msgorm11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Addendum Advice

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:24 pm

I generally like short addenda, but this goes a little too far in that direction. You need to disclose something more along the lines of "My academic performance during [semesters] suffered due to mental health issues. I was subsequently diagnosed with [condition] and underwent treatment. Since then, I have had no further issues and have maintained a [X] GPA."

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Agree with cavalier that you should define exactly what academic issues you're trying to explain and also what specific medical problem you had. You don't want to sound cagey. The above template is great.

ls18orbust

New

Post by ls18orbust » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:31 am

I'm in a similar situation, and am writing an addendum. What would I say though if the medical issues was never actually diagnosed? I had a period of about 6 months where I was in and out of the hospital and we couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong and I kept having to take different prescriptions, eventually I got better though. What would you suggest for this?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 am

ls18orbust wrote:I'm in a similar situation, and am writing an addendum. What would I say though if the medical issues was never actually diagnosed? I had a period of about 6 months where I was in and out of the hospital and we couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong and I kept having to take different prescriptions, eventually I got better though. What would you suggest for this?
Pretty much the same thing you just wrote.

But just to clarify, you said you were in a "similar situation" to the OP, who had mental health issues. It sounds like you were talking about physical symptoms, but just to be sure: you do not want to write an addendum for undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues.

ls18orbust

New

Post by ls18orbust » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Pretty much the same thing you just wrote.

But just to clarify, you said you were in a "similar situation" to the OP, who had mental health issues. It sounds like you were talking about physical symptoms, but just to be sure: you do not want to write an addendum for undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues.
Ya, physical not mental health related!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”