Does ED improve chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jstanhope14

New

Does ED improve chances?

Post by jstanhope14 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 am

163, 3.66. Non-URM. Do my (slim) chances at Georgetown improve significantly by EDing w/o preference to full- vs. part-time program? LSAT and GPA both between 25th and median, for reference.

slurp

New

Re: Does ED improve chances?

Post by slurp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 am

probably not as you are below both medians. Blessing in disguise tho, homie. You're looking at ~250-300k debt at sticker price.

you should retake LSAT if you want t13+ or look into a regional school, where you can likely get a significant tuition discount, in an area you wish to practice in after law school. The latter option will likely rule out biglaw, but you won't need the money to pay back loans.

This is all assuming you don't have rich family members who are paying for your shit.

Good luck!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 am

It improves your chances of paying sticker if accepted.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 am

FWIW, I ED'ed last cycle, was below both medians, and was admitted with a scholarship. I applied on the first day of the admissions cycle and mentioned that in my PS. I wrote the extra essays and visited early. Good luck.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 am

trmckenz wrote:FWIW, I ED'ed last cycle, was below both medians, and was admitted with a scholarship. I applied on the first day of the admissions cycle and mentioned that in my PS. I wrote the extra essays and visited early. Good luck.
That's definitely a great result for you, but it doesn't match with the expected performance for the OP's numbers. I'd hazard a guess that your focus on patent law may have made a difference.

ETA: Also, are you talking about Georgetown or generally?

OP: Looking at your post history, it seems like you'd be best served by taking some time off school to work and figure out what you want to do. Your career goals have bounced from Texas biglaw to a mid-sized firm in New England to something in the Midwest. Going K-JD is almost never a good idea, but it's especially not a good idea if you don't have a clear notion of what you want to do after school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:57 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
trmckenz wrote:FWIW, I ED'ed last cycle, was below both medians, and was admitted with a scholarship. I applied on the first day of the admissions cycle and mentioned that in my PS. I wrote the extra essays and visited early. Good luck.
That's definitely a great result for you, but it doesn't match with the expected performance for the OP's numbers. I'd hazard a guess that your focus on patent law may have made a difference.

OP: Looking at your post history, it seems like you'd be best served by taking some time off school to work and figure out what you want to do. Your career goals have bounced from Texas biglaw to a mid-sized firm in New England to something in the Midwest. Going K-JD is almost never a good idea, but it's especially not a good idea if you don't have a clear notion of what you want to do after school.
You're right, I am speaking generally. I ED'ed at Notre Dame, not Georgetown. I highly doubt Georgetown's admissions office is as forgiving as ND's, which prides itself as being more holistic. Still, it may be useful for OP and others to see a data point proving that EDing does not always mean paying sticker, even if one is below both medians. My patent experience before law school definitely helped my story, but it did not change my numbers.

I completely agree that OP should work before law school. I'd recommend putting in at least 2 years somewhere.

rapmasterg

New

Post by rapmasterg » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Somebody crunched the numbers on https://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.com
Schools with an ED Boost:
Northwestern (601% - this is very surprising, given the full scholarship that accompanies admission)
The University of Chicago (525%)
Duke (487%)
George Mason University (277%)
The University of Virginia (220%)
The University of Pennsylvania (200%)
List Three: Schools that have an ED Penalty
Emory ( -81% chance)
George Washington University (-73% chance)
New York University ( -65% chance)
You can go to the website and see how he breaks it down.

jd21

New

Post by jd21 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 pm

trmckenz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

You're right, I am speaking generally. I ED'ed at Notre Dame, not Georgetown. I highly doubt Georgetown's admissions office is as forgiving as ND's, which prides itself as being more holistic. Still, it may be useful for OP and others to see a data point proving that EDing does not always mean paying sticker, even if one is below both medians. My patent experience before law school definitely helped my story, but it did not change my numbers.

I completely agree that OP should work before law school. I'd recommend putting in at least 2 years somewhere.

I would strongly advise against ED at Georgetown with the expectation of any kind of money. When I visited the admissions team was very frank with everyone that financial aid is an inducement to attend. When you're guaranteed to attend, there's no need for it. They didn't say they don't give ED financial aid but they were explicit that anyone who's concerned about money shouldn't ED because they will not be happy about it. They give some aid but not enough for it to make a difference for anyone who cares about the financial aspect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”