no no no Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DKM

New

no no no

Post by DKM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:10 pm

no
Last edited by DKM on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DKM

New

Re: Should I apply to School #2

Post by DKM » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:50 am

no
Last edited by DKM on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:24 am

retake

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:25 am

I have no idea how you think anyone could begin to answer this question. Stop beating around the bush and give actual numbers and school names.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:24 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I have no idea how you think anyone could begin to answer this question. Stop beating around the bush and give actual numbers and school names.
Maybe the person is trying to give as little information as possible to avoid how you normally treat people when they give actual numbers and school names?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 pm

DKM wrote:There are two (maybe 3) schools in my area that I am considering.
School A: Above median LSAT by 1 point. Slightly below 75% GPA

School B: Below median LSAT by 2 points. Above 75% GPA

Let's not worry about school 3 right now.

I'm scheduled to take the December LSAT and confident that I can improve. I believe my score on my last attempt was more to do with lack of sleep the night before than the test itself.

What's the correct action here? Should I apply to both now before I retake? Apply to only one? What happens if I get denied and then get a much better score? Any input would be much appreciated.
OP, at the end of the day, it really is hard to give you advice without more information. That being said I entirely understand not wanting to give out the details seeing how some treat those OP's. Feel free to PM me anytime!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Ferris you have no right to give advice to anyone. Go away.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 pm

lol

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:Ferris you have no right to give advice to anyone. Go away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

I feel morally obligated to be a counter to the overly negative consensus on here that shames anyone in certain situations. Tbh you guy's have done a wonderful job of scaring off TT and TTT applicants away(compared to last year there's almost none) so I've mostly been silent but when OP's don't feel comfortable putting in their real stats and are trying to get advice without revealing their stats or prospective choices, you know we've got a problem.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
I feel morally obligated to be a counter to the overly negative consensus on here that shames anyone in certain situations. Tbh you guy's have done a wonderful job of scaring off TT and TTT applicants away(compared to last year there's almost none) so I've mostly been silent but when OP's don't feel comfortable putting in their real stats and are trying to get advice without revealing their stats or prospective choices, you know we've got a problem.
https://infogram.com/number-of-applican ... ej3e9l3p16

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Meant TLS OP's. Sorry for not being specific though!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Yes, the problem is that they likely don’t want to deal with unpleasant facts.

OP, as I understand it, schools will hold your application and not review it until your Dec score comes in anyway. So you might as well wait to get the score. Applying slightly later with a better score is better than applying earlier with a worse score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm hoping so hard that the OP comes back to tell Ferris that School 1 and 2 are Michigan and UVA.

Also:
Ferrisjso wrote:Maybe the person is trying to give as little information as possible to avoid how you normally treat people when they give actual numbers and school names?
Ferrisjso wrote:OP, at the end of the day, it really is hard to give you advice without more information.
QU is clearly doing a bang-up job.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm hoping so hard that the OP comes back to tell Ferris that School 1 and 2 are Michigan and UVA.

Also:
Ferrisjso wrote:Maybe the person is trying to give as little information as possible to avoid how you normally treat people when they give actual numbers and school names?
Ferrisjso wrote:OP, at the end of the day, it really is hard to give you advice without more information.
QU is clearly doing a bang-up job.
At the end of the day I'm just trying to help the people you're not willing to, if it turns out to Michigan and UVA that's great for OP, why would I be upset by that! However, OP putting their stats into freaking code and saying they didn't like how they performed on the LSAT makes me think otherwise.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I'm hoping so hard that the OP comes back to tell Ferris that School 1 and 2 are Michigan and UVA.
Based on the numbers in the description, they could be Columbia and NYU - schools in the same area with a three point median LSAT gap with the lower median having a higher 75th GPA.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 am

Can this thread be Ferris's on-topic cage for this cycle?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:29 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Meant TLS OP's. Sorry for not being specific though!
1) You missed the point of the link. I'm trying to say that the reason you're not seeing TT choosing threads anymore is because 0L's are wising up the admissions process and are heeding the advice of TLS of retaking and not applying. If they're not applying - they don't need choosing threads. The drop is more noticeable on TLS bc if 0L's are on TLS to begin with, they're a subsection of the more motivated applicants and more likely to accept the conclusions of the "hivemind." There are certain exceptions of course.

2) You shouldn't feel morally obligated at all. Choosing a school is not a moral quandary. If the OP doesn't feel comfortable with telling us his stats, the problem isn't that we've bullied him into a shame spiral. It's that the OP doesn't want to face reality on reality's term's.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Y Tho?

What's your moral imparative to convince people they should attend schools that won't set them up for success?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Y Tho?

What's your moral imparative to convince people they should attend schools that won't set them up for success?
Well I don't want to do that necessarily, just want someone to be here to give them advice that isn't retake(which comes from people giving advice meant for people in the same situations). I'm still against stips, debt and poor debt prospects but you people don't care about that you're just made cause I didn't accept the whole retake mantra(though know it's much harder not to, seeing the changes, I would have actually retook again if I'd known).

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:I'm still against stips, debt and poor debt prospects but you people don't care about that you're just made cause I didn't accept the whole retake mantra(though know it's much harder not to, seeing the changes, I would have actually retook again if I'd known).
Care to flesh this out a bit?
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:I'm still against stips, debt and poor debt prospects but you people don't care about that you're just made cause I didn't accept the whole retake mantra(though know it's much harder not to, seeing the changes, I would have actually retook again if I'd known).
I am also eager for a fleshing out of that point.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I am also eager for a fleshing out of that point.

I also second this proposition

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Unlimited retakes?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:14 pm

DKM wrote:There are two (maybe 3) schools in my area that I am considering.
School A: Above median LSAT by 1 point. Slightly below 75% GPA

School B: Below median LSAT by 2 points. Above 75% GPA

Let's not worry about school 3 right now.

I'm scheduled to take the December LSAT and confident that I can improve. I believe my score on my last attempt was more to do with lack of sleep the night before than the test itself.

What's the correct action here? Should I apply to both now before I retake? Apply to only one? What happens if I get denied and then get a much better score? Any input would be much appreciated.

I'll answer the OP's question: Since you believe you did not do as well as you should have due to lack of sleep the night before, you should retake. If I remember correctly, if you apply and indicate that you are taking the December LSAT, they will not fully review your application until the LSAT score comes in.

I would apply to those three schools. If your score causes your circumstances to change, then you may need to re-evaluate your options (and consider applying next cycle).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”