LOR For Entrepreneur Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cozzens223

New

LOR For Entrepreneur

Post by cozzens223 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey All,

I have a bit of a unique circumstance that I am looking for advice on. I graduated undergrad about 4 years ago and started my own business with my brother right out of school. I am now at a point where I can delegate most of the responsibilities to others and believe law school is the logical next step for me.

I am currently studying for the LSATs in December and practice testing in the 170 range. I am looking around the T20 schools as a goal, however I am worried that I will not have stellar LORs since I have not had a "real boss"

How much do LORs impact the entire application as a whole? Has anyone else gone through a similar situation? Also, if you guys have any ideas where to search for acceptable LORs I would be all ears :D

Cheers!
Chris

allezallez21

New

Re: LOR For Entrepreneur

Post by allezallez21 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:12 pm

I am in a very similar situation.

LORs are not as important as other parts of your application. A bad one will hurt you very much, and a stellar one will give you a (little) bump. But the vast majority are just nice, positive letters that don't distinguish you.

Additionally, the top schools really preference academic LORs. So, I suggest you reach out to professors first. If you can get 2 professors to write you decent LORs just go with them. That's what I ended up doing. Yes, I graduated several years ago and I'm not sure those professors could write an amazing letter, but I am confident that they wrote good letters which will not hurt me.

After that, I would start considering other options. Do you know someone from another extracurricular activity? Business peers?

cozzens223

New

Re: LOR For Entrepreneur

Post by cozzens223 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks, since I graduated a few years ago, I had pretty much ruled out professors. I think that is a great idea and worst case they can give me a good letter that surely can not hurt.

In regards to business peers, the only person I could think of providing a semi relevant letter is my companies attorney with whom I am fairly close with ( unfortunately :))

I am in the food business, so many folks with whom I deal with on a daily basis are vendors/ suppliers etc so I am not sure that a letter from them would come in high regards.

In terms of extracurricular, I basically work and play rugby, would a letter from a coach come in handy?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”