Reapplying a couple years after dropping out of a t10 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bamboo_72

New

Reapplying a couple years after dropping out of a t10

Post by bamboo_72 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I attended a t10 a few years back and dropped out after the first semester. I left the school in good academic standing, and I won't make excuses other than to say it wasn't the right time for me to be in school. I worked for a couple years and subsequently earned admissions to a top 10 business school. After careful consideration and speaking to many law students / lawyers, I've decided that I want to re-pursue law as a career. I'm currently an MBA1 at the aforementioned business school, and I'm planning on taking a few classes in the law school (also top 10) starting next semester. I'd be applying ED to that law school next Fall. My stats are as follows:

Undergrad (Ivy) GPA: 3.5, LSAT: 175+, MBA (expected) GPA: 3.7+

What do people think about my chances of admission, and what can I do to improve them?
Last edited by bamboo_72 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Reapplying a couple years after dropping out of a t10

Post by UVA2B » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:28 pm

None of the schools that fit your profile (by my count, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, UVA?, Duke?, Michigan?, maybe Berkeley?, not Harvard or Stanford since they don't have ED from what I remember) really need to see anything else than what you have here. As a 3.5/175, you're looking pretty good for all of them minus Berkeley, which might struggle with your GPA, although they are also a bit more holistic, so it's still possible.

Since you're currently in B school, are you planning on piggybacking B school with law school at the school? Or are you hoping to become a JD/MBA student where you go do 1L year after your MBA1 year at the school? I just find this entire academic progression a bit odd, and I'd love to know generally what you're thinking for the rest of your academics and your eventual career goals.

With all of that said, I wouldn't ED to any of those schools unless you have a financial situation where sticker makes sense. Don't chase more degrees with tons of incurred debt going after all of these degrees. Figure out what kind of career you want to have, whether it be in business or law, and refine your plans to go after that career.

bamboo_72

New

Re: Reapplying a couple years after dropping out of a t10

Post by bamboo_72 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:34 pm

UVA2B wrote:None of the schools that fit your profile (by my count, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, UVA?, Duke?, Michigan?, maybe Berkeley?, not Harvard or Stanford since they don't have ED from what I remember) really need to see anything else than what you have here. As a 3.5/175, you're looking pretty good for all of them minus Berkeley, which might struggle with your GPA, although they are also a bit more holistic, so it's still possible.

Since you're currently in B school, are you planning on piggybacking B school with law school at the school? Or are you hoping to become a JD/MBA student where you go do 1L year after your MBA1 year at the school? I just find this entire academic progression a bit odd, and I'd love to know generally what you're thinking for the rest of your academics and your eventual career goals.

With all of that said, I wouldn't ED to any of those schools unless you have a financial situation where sticker makes sense. Don't chase more degrees with tons of incurred debt going after all of these degrees. Figure out what kind of career you want to have, whether it be in business or law, and refine your plans to go after that career.
Hi, thanks for your response. I'd be completing my MBA and JD sequentially. I understand the concerns regarding the financial situation - it worries me as well - and that's something I'm going to have to think about. Regarding career goals, I would be looking to go into corporate law.

I appreciate the advice, and am happy to continue this conversation over DM. Let me know.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”