Virginia Residency for UVA - Does it matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jdhoosier17

New

Virginia Residency for UVA - Does it matter?

Post by Jdhoosier17 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:43 pm

UVA is my first choice. I will not be able to apply until next cycle due to military obligations. I am graduating in December so I must find a job until it is time to attend law school. I was considering moving to Virginia to become a Virginia resident so that I will be given a boost in admissions. However, I have a great opportunity with a company that is not in Virginia. my stats are 3.3 GPA, 164 LSAT, AA female Vet.
Do you guys think residency would make a big difference? I'm concerned that not becoming a Virginia resident will be a mistake and have a negative impact on my application. I should also note that I will apply ED.

swampman

Bronze

Re: Virginia Residency for UVA - Does it matter?

Post by swampman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 pm

This is tough. Virginia residency does matter, as I believe there is a quota they have to meet. However it isn't easy to get -- you have to have lived here for more than a year (before classes start, I think, but maybe before your application).

Your numbers are both around the 25th percentile, which isn't a great place to be. AA, female, and vet are all things UVA cares a lot about and will help you greatly. Still, there are URM candidates with similar numbers who were waitlisted and rejected last cycle. It's possible that VA residency could be the thing that pushes you over the edge. On the flipside, you could move here, take a worse job, and still not get in. Who knows.

That said, I would say take the interesting job out of state. My guess is if you apply ED with a strong application and desire to be there, you're getting in. Any slight benefit from VA residency probably doesn't outweigh the downsides.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Vets get in-state status at UVA, regardless of residence. It won't matter.

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 am

UVA2B wrote:Vets get in-state status at UVA, regardless of residence. It won't matter.
I think she may have been referring more to the information on their website which suggests that Virginia residents get a boost.

The law page states "Although Virginia Law is not dependent upon the Commonwealth for its budget, that has not always been the case, so we do aim to favor competitive Virginia applicants when we can."

You are probably in a better position than most, UVA2B, to let her know if the juice is worth the squeeze in giving up a good military opportunity and moving to Virginia for a 'potential' boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”