UVA Law yield protection? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tmcauliffe96

Bronze

UVA Law yield protection?

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Going to UVA Law has been my dream for quite some time now. I received a 173 on the LSAT and I was absolutely thrilled - it was well about their 75th percentile! That, coupled with my GPA of a 3.99, I truly thought I was all set. Doing some research, I came across the concept of YP and now I'm truly worried. Is there a chance that I could succumb to yield protection?

Platopus

Gold

Re: UVA Law yield protection?

Post by Platopus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wakhancorridor

New

Post by Wakhancorridor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Just write an addendum indicating why you're enthusiastic about UVA and schedule and admissions visit if possible and you're looking at the possibility of almost no debt coming out of law school

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Based on your username, you're probably from Virginia. I think Virginians have a far better chance at avoiding YP than out of staters. Let your genuine interest flow in your Why statements and possibly enjoy a Dillard.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:47 pm

All the above advice is correct.

YP is about not offering places to candidates unlikely to accept. Your challenge is to make sure admissions know you're serious about attending.

Reach out and schedule a tour. Talk to them, but be prepared that, even if they believe you, if they can't offer you a large scholarship you might get YP. Applying sooner over later will help your chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 pm

I had better numbers than you and the same concern. Visiting the school and showing a sincere interest proved to be a panacea. I'd recommend visiting if it is at all feasible.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Just give them a phone call. Admittedly, Faulk wasn't the Dean yet when I applied, but he's a friendly guy and strikes me as being responsive.

Writing a "Why UVA" would work too, I just think it would take way longer than a quick phone call.

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 pm

And you can deal with the scholarship part in Spring -- when matriculation deadlines come around they know you are not kidding if you say "I got into H, but if you give me a Dillard I will commit this second."

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 pm

Rigo wrote:Based on your username, you're probably from Virginia. I think Virginians have a far better chance at avoiding YP than out of staters. Let your genuine interest flow in your Why statements and possibly enjoy a Dillard.
LOL I'm actually from New York, it's purely a coincidence

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”