Help needed-Will Gap and short gigs affect admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
martindu

New

Help needed-Will Gap and short gigs affect admission?

Post by martindu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi all, I am in a difficult situation. I quit my job last year to study lsat full-time, but still not in good shape and canceled my score in this year's Feb test. After that, I did two short gigs, one at a law firm and the other inhouse, with one month interval in between. How much will this gap and short gig experience affect future admission?

The reason for me to pick up jobs again is that I find the pressure is huge to study while unemployed. But as I got back on the track, two jobs literally failed me. Should I continue studying for lsat or get a job and devote wholeheartedly? Can anyone help me figure it out?

I'm not in the US and I'm qualified to practice in my jurisdiction.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Help needed-Will Gap and short gigs affect admission?

Post by UVA2B » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 pm

A somewhat incongruous resume will not have a drastic impact on law school admissions. If you can explain why you had those gaps with certainty and confidence, admissions won't bat an eye at it.

That said, if you're a practicing attorney in your jurisdiction, why are you making the shift to the US? And why are you not considering getting an LLM in order to do that instead of spending three years and an inordinate amount of money to get a JD?

martindu

New

Re: Help needed-Will Gap and short gigs affect admission?

Post by martindu » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm

UVA2B wrote:A somewhat incongruous resume will not have a drastic impact on law school admissions. If you can explain why you had those gaps with certainty and confidence, admissions won't bat an eye at it.

That said, if you're a practicing attorney in your jurisdiction, why are you making the shift to the US? And why are you not considering getting an LLM in order to do that instead of spending three years and an inordinate amount of money to get a JD?
Because I want to work in the US. LLM can be hard to find a job, a JD helps but still competitive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”