Dropping out of my Grad Program? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bubblebat

New

Dropping out of my Grad Program?

Post by bubblebat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:19 pm

So, I had always intended to apply this cycle, but I really wasn't expecting to do as well on the LSAT as I have. Getting a 179 kind of out of the blue in September (I was PTing at the low 170s without much movement for a long time) has really shaken up my perspective and left me at a loss for what to do regarding my current education.

You see, I've gotten myself roped into one of the year long master's programs at Oxford. It is in a field which is relevant to the kind of law I want to practice and initially served as a means by which to fill my "gap year." I thought it might make a decent enough soft and help demonstrate my passion for the subject matter I hoped to work with in the future. However, I am paying for this stupidly expensive program, which is downright foolish and ridiculous. I was kind of dragged here kicking and screaming by familial expectation (I know, a really stupid reason), but now that I have the 179 I just can't help but feel that is way dumber than it was initially.

Insofar as it is the second week of program, do you all think it would be wise for me to withdraw and run back to the states with my $40k in Oxford tuition/housing? My dream school is Stanford, and having some funds to knock a dent in that tuition seems like the thing to do. That said, I worry my application loses some of its value without the graduate degree. I guess I'm just not sure how much value to place in this program. Someone told me it might put me in a better position for jobs, but I somehow doubt that is true.

My stats:
UGPA - 4.0
LSAT - 179
Softs - Weak, without the master's. Debate in undergrad, PBK, a brief stint with my local congressman, an award for my undergrad thesis. I was too busy with a double major to do much.

I am chiefly interested in PI areas and I doubt I will get much in the way of financial aid.
Last edited by bubblebat on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Dropping out of my Grad Program?

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm

There is too much info in this post, you can be identified OP.

It is stupid to pay for graduate school, but it is Oxford. I think stick it out for the year and apply while you are there. You have as good of shot at YHS as anyone does, but I think the Oxford degree helps for S and Y more than not having it.

bubblebat

New

Re: Dropping out of my Grad Program?

Post by bubblebat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:23 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:There is too much info in this post, you can be identified OP.

It is stupid to pay for graduate school, but it is Oxford. I think stick it out for the year and apply while you are there. You have as good of shot at YHS as anyone does, but I think the Oxford degree helps for S and Y more than not having it.
Cut some of the specifics out. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”