Retake in Dec. or apply now? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lcc20

New

Retake in Dec. or apply now?

Post by lcc20 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:30 am

I'm an international student with a GPA graded as Superior, a canceled LSAT and a 169.

I underperformed in the September test due to some circumstances and 169 is lower than the worst that I've ever had in practice tests. It's likely that I will do better next time, but you never know. What if I underperform again in December?
I have registered for the December test. But 169/S is not bad, I guess.

I'm wondering whether the opportunity to have a better LSAT score is worthy of the advantages lost due to applying late in the cycle. Columbia is my first choice, and 169 is exactly the 25 percent of their 2016 class. I have no idea whether an earlier application with 169 is a better choice than a late application with PERHAPS a higher score.

BTW I will first apply for the lower T14s with 169 and see. Won't wait until January since 169 is above their medians or even 75%. I post here only to ask if anyone has any advice towards my application for Columbia and NYU. Thanks!

AJordan

Silver

Re: Retake in Dec. or apply now?

Post by AJordan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 am

100% retake if you want to go to Columbia. You need to hit their median to feel competitive as an international student. Your GPA doesn't help them when they report you.

Additionally, scholarship opportunities are likely to be better at the other schools' 75th. Since you underperformed it's really a no-brainer.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

lcc20

New

Re: Retake in Dec. or apply now?

Post by lcc20 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:23 pm

AJordan wrote:100% retake if you want to go to Columbia. You need to hit their median to feel competitive as an international student. Your GPA doesn't help them when they report you.

Additionally, scholarship opportunities are likely to be better at the other schools' 75th. Since you underperformed it's really a no-brainer.
Thanks for advice!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”