Do universities look at the classes you take in undergrad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wolfromkev

New

Do universities look at the classes you take in undergrad?

Post by wolfromkev » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 am

Hello!

I'm currently a senior studying Chemical Engineering and I found out today that I have to graduate a semester late. I'm only missing one class, a one credit physical chemistry lab class, which I will be taking Fall 2018. I was considering taking a ton of notoriously easy-A classes during the summer and Fall to boost up my GPA with the amount of extra time I'll have. Would universities look down upon me taking so many Easy-A classes to boost up my GPA?

Thanks!

Jay2021

New

Re: Do universities look at the classes you take in undergrad?

Post by Jay2021 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 am

Don't rely on me but if you have a STEM major with decent grades that's probably impressive enough.

Silly question but how would they know that the courses are "notoriously easy"?

wolfromkev

New

Post by wolfromkev » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:07 am

Jay2021 wrote:Don't rely on me but if you have a STEM major with decent grades that's probably impressive enough.

it couldnt hurt to be better!

Good point, I figured that they might find it odd that I'm taking an excessive amount of 101 level classes in non math/chem/chemE classes during my senior year. I was thinking of taking PE or art classes, which they might assume is an easy-A (at least compared to a class like transport phenomena or a different chemE class)

unicorntamer666

New

Post by unicorntamer666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:18 am

wolfromkev wrote:Hello!

I'm currently a senior studying Chemical Engineering and I found out today that I have to graduate a semester late. I'm only missing one class, a one credit physical chemistry lab class, which I will be taking Fall 2018. I was considering taking a ton of notoriously easy-A classes during the summer and Fall to boost up my GPA with the amount of extra time I'll have. Would universities look down upon me taking so many Easy-A classes to boost up my GPA?

Thanks!
I would not worry about this one bit - in fact I'd encourage you to take the easy-A class. Beyond occasionally making note of a pronounced upward/downward grade trend, I'm pretty confident that all admissions officers care about is cumulative GPA. In fact, if all one wanted to do was optimize her eventual law school admissions outcomes, I'd tell her to attend a crappy undergrad and take all easy-A classes.

Hard to overstate the impact of USNAWR rankings on admissions decisions (AKA: LSAT and GPA are everything).

Jay2021

New

Post by Jay2021 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 am

wolfromkev wrote:
Jay2021 wrote:Don't rely on me but if you have a STEM major with decent grades that's probably impressive enough.

Good point, I figured that they might find it odd that I'm taking an excessive amount of 101 level classes in non math/chem/chemE classes during my senior year. I was thinking of taking PE or art classes, which they might assume is an easy-A (at least compared to a class like transport phenomena or a different chemE class)
Personally I'd say art is probably a good idea, makes you well rounded and could have been just personal interest, not trying to take an easy course. PE is more obvious but as someone else said here at the end of the day all they want most is a number to help bump them up in the rankings

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wolfromkev

New

Post by wolfromkev » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Jay2021 wrote:
wolfromkev wrote:

Personally I'd say art is probably a good idea, makes you well rounded and could have been just personal interest, not trying to take an easy course. PE is more obvious but as someone else said here at the end of the day all they want most is a number to help bump them up in the rankings
Great to know, appreciate the help!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 pm

No they don't.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Go for it. They won't care/probably won't even look.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm

(But I’m not convinced art classes are easy As, for the record.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(But I’m not convinced art classes are easy As, for the record.)
Oh yeah def not.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Take things that actually interest you. So if you're into art, do art. If you want to read a few books, take some literature classes.

Ahh I wish I could go back and have a free semester of undergrad instead of rushing to graduate early.

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your GPA is within their range (or close) I doubt they'll even look. They'll know you took some tough classes based on your major.

Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong but I would think the rigor of your classes would matter more if you had an unusually low GPA (but had a high enough LSAT to offset it) and they just wanted to make sure you could handle tough courses. If you're on the edge between getting accepted/denied, I would think high grades in upper level courses looks better than a bunch of random intro classes.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:(But I’m not convinced art classes are easy As, for the record.)
Yeah, I was always excited for the kids who thought that was how art classes worked...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

PE might also be a hard A depending on the class

The answer to this question is they will look up upon you for doing your part to raise their median GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”