Retake LSAT or Apply Now? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoulderLawHopeful

New

Retake LSAT or Apply Now?

Post by BoulderLawHopeful » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:16 pm

I received my September LSAT score and I did HORRIBLE. I have extreme testing anxiety when it comes to the LSAT. I was PTing at around 165 each time. But, when it came to the actual test, I got a 156! I cried and cried. I am so disappointed with myself, but I have such bad test anxiety that I am not sure if I can do any better. I think if anything, I am going to practice under very stressful, test-like conditions up until the December LSAT. I could answer most LSAT questions correctly if I had all the time in the world to answer them (it is not the content that is difficult). The stress and the amount of time allotted just really got to me during the actual exam.

I go to the University of Colorado Boulder, and I am double majoring in Sociology and Anthropology. I have a LSAC GPA of 3.95 and a major GPA of 4.0 (for both majors). I am a female. Unfortunately, I am white, a second-generation college student, and a completely traditional student. Basically, I am an extraordinarily average applicant with a very high GPA and a sub-par LSAT score.

I am planning on applying to (in order of preference): U of Colorado Boulder Law (average LSAT 161), U of Iowa Law (average LSAT 161), Arizona State O'Conner Law (average LSAT 161), Ohio State Law (average LSAT 159), U of Wisconsin Madison Law (average LSAT 161), and U of Missouri Columbia Law (average LSAT 157).

My GPA is WAY over the 75th percentile for all of the schools I am looking at. But, my LSAT score is in either the 50th percentile, 25th percentile, or lower than the 25th percentile for all of the schools I am looking at. I do not think I am going to get outright rejected to any of the schools I am applying to (at least it seems this way according to the Law School Numbers and LSAC self-assessment webpages). However, I have a feeling I will be wait-listed for most of them.

I am taking all upper division undergraduate (and even some that are mixed graduate level) courses this semester. I think they are all very easy and I am certain my Fall 2017 grades will all be As (CU does not award A+ grades).

Let's say I improve my LSAT to a 159 or so. Is it worth it to retake just to increase my LSAT score a few points? Also, since I have to wait until January 4th for my December LSAT scores, my applications will be submitted sort of late. I plan to have all of my apps completed before the LSAT scores are released and submit them basically the second I receive my score.

Is it worth it to restudy and retake? I will have to apply later, and my LSAT will probably just increase by a few points due to my LSAT stress. I have been looking at the Law School Numbers website, and it seems like I have a very high chance of at least being wait-listed for all of my prospective schools and about a 50-90% chance of being accepted. I am most worried about CU Boulder, U of Iowa, and Arizona State (my top 3 schools). My chances for each of these schools are lower. A lot of people with my current numbers have been accepted, however, many have been wait-listed.

Although I know it hardly matters, I am the Vice President of the National Honor Fraternity (Phi Sigma Pi) at my university this year. I also was the Fundraising Chair my entire junior year. Also, I was a research assistant for a law professor at the University of Denver School of Law (he will also be writing one of my letters of recommendation). My name was also included in the research study and paper done on the topic.

What are your thoughts on what I should do/what my chances are?

Lxwind

New

Re: Retake LSAT or Apply Now?

Post by Lxwind » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:26 pm

I don't know if you should retake or not, since I have no idea how bad your LSAT anxiety is. Yet if you do decide to retake, I have several tips:

1. Use an analog watch. Adjust it to 12 between each session.
2. Use the 7Sage proctor app. It took me several PTs to adapt to 5-minute notice.
3. Bind your hair if you have long hair. I think it helped me to increase like 1-2 points.
4. PT in a library instead of at home. The background noise is similar to a test setting.
5. Do 5-section PTs all the time. Use the proctor so you can follow the instructions to break for 15 minutes and resume.
6. Insert the "experimental section" anywhere. Try different combinations, especially the combinations most uncomfortable to you. For example, 2 RCs in a row or 3 LRs back to back.

These are tips that helped me reach my PT average at my first take..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”