School Suggestions. NYU U Penn or Fordham Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
YANGQI77

New

School Suggestions. NYU U Penn or Fordham

Post by YANGQI77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Hi:

I took LSAT three times, 162/165/174. Undergraduate GPA 3.55; LLM (Master of law) GPA 3.67.

I live in New Jersey, my goal is to do corporate law in big law for few years, then work as in-house counsel.

My first choice is Columbia because they are strong in corporate law, but they might not accept me in regular JD process because I already got a law degree(LLM).

I want to stay close with my family, and I also don't want to spend $200,000 for law school.

I am currently considering NYU, U Penn and Fordham. But I am not sure if NYU and U Penn will give me any scholarships.

I think I can get $135,000 from Fordham. I am also considering Georgetown and Cornell. Any suggestions?? :?: :?: :?:
Thank you!!! :) :) :)
Last edited by YANGQI77 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thesaurus

Silver

Re: School Suggestions. NYU U Penn or Fordham

Post by Thesaurus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:11 pm

How do you have an LLM but not a JD? What country are you from?

YANGQI77

New

Post by YANGQI77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Thesaurus wrote:How do you have an LLM but not a JD? What country are you from?
That's actually normal for international students. I'm from China, and you can study law in undergraduate there.

Thesaurus

Silver

Post by Thesaurus » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:21 pm

YANGQI77 wrote:
That's actually normal for international students. I'm from China, and you can study law in undergraduate there.
One of my roommates is from China and has a Chinese law degree, and he's an LLM student here. He's also really young. I don't totally understand how the schooling works in China, but are you sure you need a JD from a US law school?

YANGQI77

New

Post by YANGQI77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Thesaurus wrote:
YANGQI77 wrote:
One of my roommates is from China and has a Chinese law degree, and he's an LLM student here. He's also really young. I don't totally understand how the schooling works in China, but are you sure you need a JD from a US law school?
In China, there is no separate grad schools for law/medicine, basically you can choose any major in undergraduate. But I hear it's going to change soon.

And yes. otherwise I wouldn't be able to take the NJ bar. And big law firms here don't hire LLMs. JD is required. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Blanket the entire T-14. With your numbers, you should have some decent offers.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Thesaurus wrote:
YANGQI77 wrote:
The US is probably the only country that makes people attend a post-bac law school to obtain their law degree. Most other nations (China, UK, India, Korea, etc.) you can get your law degree and practice law straight out of undergrad.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

YANGQI77 wrote:Hi:

I took LSAT three times, 162/165/174. Undergraduate GPA 3.55; LLM (Master of law) GPA 3.67.

I live in New Jersey, my goal is to do corporate law in big law for few years, then work as in-house counsel.

My first choice is Columbia because they are strong in corporate law, but they might not accept me in regular JD process because I already got a law degree(LLM).

I want to stay close with my family, and I also don't want to spend $200,000 for law school.

I am currently considering NYU, U Penn and Fordham. But I am not sure if NYU and U Penn will give me any scholarships.

I think I can get $135,000 from Fordham. I am also considering Georgetown and Cornell. Any suggestions?? :?: :?: :?:
With a 3.5/174, I'm almost certain you'll get into Penn with the chance for a decent scholarship, and a full ride at Fordham. You also have a pretty great shot at NYU as well.

YANGQI77

New

Post by YANGQI77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Blanket the entire T-14. With your numbers, you should have some decent offers.
But mostly likely I will stay in the east coast. Should I just apply for the sake of scholarship bargaining??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YANGQI77

New

Post by YANGQI77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
YANGQI77 wrote:Hi:

With a 3.5/174, I'm almost certain you'll get into Penn with the chance for a decent scholarship, and a full ride at Fordham. You also have a pretty great shot at NYU as well.
Yeah~ I will definitely apply to NYU UPenn and Fordham, see how much $$ they offer! Thank you! :)

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:55 pm

YANGQI77 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Blanket the entire T-14. With your numbers, you should have some decent offers.
But mostly likely I will stay in the east coast. Should I just apply for the sake of scholarship bargaining??
Absolutely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”