Apply this cycle or wait another year? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kjr

New

Apply this cycle or wait another year?

Post by kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

I am often reading of people with great GPAS and mediocre LSAT asking where they should apply, and very often the answer is "Retake"; it has become almost a joke posting "Retake" under literally any request.
So my question is this. I have good gpa, probably something around 3.95-3.97, but I have been studying for the LSAT only since September, and I want to take in in December to apply this cycle. Currently I am not completely done with 7Sage core, and I still fail at most lGs, so my pt's are very low. (150s)
Now everyone would say I should take the lsat, but if the results are not good, I should wait a year, and get a better result. I understand that - however, I am quite older (32), which makes me really not want to wait another year.
Whats the take on that? I age a acceptable reason to use a mediocre LSAt, and get the law degree? Or should i study more and wait another year, to get a shot at a t13 school. (btw a regional school here has top 50 rating, and very low tuition for in-state students, which I would aim for this year.)

Thanks for any advice

cavalier1138

Re: Apply this cycle or wait another year?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am

No, age is not an excuse. But what do you want to do with your degree?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am

Take in February (with a possible retake in June) and apply next year. That GPA is excellent so you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to apply without reaching your full potential on the LSAT.

kjr

New

Post by kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am

cavalier1138 wrote:No, age is not an excuse. But what do you want to do with your degree?
I want to work as a attorney. I would love to be able to do some international work, but I understand that such is extremely competitive, so I would also be happy to work for a small-midsize firm. I wouldn't want to decide now on a specific area a practice before going to law school.

kjr

New

Post by kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am

Rigo wrote:Take in February (with a possible retake in June) and apply next year. That GPA is excellent so you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to apply without reaching your full potential on the LSAT.

so you believe age is no factor at all, when it comes to this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 am

kjr wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:No, age is not an excuse. But what do you want to do with your degree?
I want to work as a attorney. I would love to be able to do some international work, but I understand that such is extremely competitive, so I would also be happy to work for a small-midsize firm. I wouldn't want to decide now on a specific area a practice before going to law school.
Then retake if you don't get a good enough score for top schools (or for full rides to regional powerhouses). If you want options, go to a school that gives you options.

kjr

New

Post by kjr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am

ok thanks guys for the input

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:20 am

Rigo wrote:Take in February (with a possible retake in June) and apply next year. That GPA is excellent so you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to apply without reaching your full potential on the LSAT.
Does the February LSAT still not give out what answers you got right/wrong? If so, seems like the Feb test would not be useful if OP did need to retake.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm

mcmand wrote:
Does the February LSAT still not give out what answers you got right/wrong? If so, seems like the Feb test would not be useful if OP did need to retake.
It's undisclosed.
Eh I disagree that it's not useful for that reason. People should know their strengths and weaknesses and an official test shouldn't be diagnostic.
At 3-4 months away, February is a good one to shoot for.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”